My opinion about new Firmware 6.41

speedyvelo

My opinion about new Firmware 6.41

Post by speedyvelo »

First a major limitation in this comment: I have not installeded 6.4 or 6.41 thus my opinion may be 100% wrong (I hope so).

1. I have not installed the new firmware because I am happy with the old firmware and IF the new one has the problems I see, there is no way to go back and reinstall the old fimrware. I wish there was a way to go back and install previous firmware like we can do with the Garmin Edge.

2. I wish the new firmware would allow us to disable/enable the automatic O&B calibration ride.
I live in the mountains to have a decent calibration ride I have to drive to a place with some rolling or flat areas otherwise most you go up and basically coast down and that often produces calibration rides that had problems with the downhills pedaling.

3. When I do a calibration ride (O&B) i install the Vector 3 Garmin pedals (DFPM) and calibrate the PP with the DFPM then I removed the Vectors and I use only the PP. As you can see with this "low threshold" O&B will produce calibration rides that overwrite the the ones that I did with the DFPM.

4. I have exported the profiles that I want. Can I import those profiles using the new firmware? or I have to manually change the whole thing?.

I love the PP and in many ways it is better than the DFPM but I am afraid the installation of the new firmware will remove many of the benefits I have with the old firmware. Am I wrong?

Thank you for any comments and John thanks for the comments you did in a past reply about using the new firmware and new pairing related to change HR sensors.

-=terry=-
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: My opinion about new Firmware 6.41

Post by Velocomp »

1. We can, on an individual basis, send older firmware

2. The new FW does NOT force a cal ride, except when a sensor pairing is performed. Why would you do a new sensor pairing if your PP is already calibrated? And if you don't do a sensor pairing, the only other way to force a cal ride is in Isaac...the same way as it has been since the beginning!

3. If you do a cal ride with a DFPM, then remove the DFPM, that's OK.

4. Yes, you can import old profiles as desired. But again, UNLESS YOU DO A NEW SENSOR PAIRING, nothing will force PP into calibration mode. Your prior profiles will be untouched.

Maybe I am missing something here...(that does happen!)...but with 641, nothing is different with respect to calibrations, except when you force a new sensor pairing.
John Hamann
speedyvelo

Post by speedyvelo »

John THANK YOU.

1. Glad option #1 is available in the worst of the cases.

2. I had the impression that O&B could be trigger (besides pairing) by changing profiles. I had two bikes with different profiles and different wheels/speed sensors. So after you r message I assume that will not be the case.

3. So I will uprgrade and continue using the profiles I have without any problems (well.., I hope so.).

-=terry=-
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

speedyvelo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:24 pm

2. I had the impression that O&B could be trigger (besides pairing) by changing profiles.

-=terry=-
Whenever PP automatically changes profiles from bike to bike, or when you manually switch profiles in Isaac, this does NOT force a new cal ride. Only when you do a sensor scan, is a calibration forced.
John Hamann