Speed Cadence HRM Sensor Pairing Basic Questions

whichway

Speed Cadence HRM Sensor Pairing Basic Questions

Post by whichway »

Hi
Sorry if this is a basic question, but I have tried searching and I can't find the answer, so please feel free to send me links if there are already answers elsewhere.

I have the following:
Garmin Edge 1000
PP Ant only model
Garmin hub type speed sensor
Garmin GSC10 used only for cadence

Currently the Hub speed sensor is paired with the PP. I don't think it is paired with the Edge because whenever I go through a tunnel and lose the GPS signal the speed drops to 0.
The cadence sensor is paired to the Edge and not the PP.

I understand how to pair a sensor to the PP, but not to both the PP and Edge. Maybe I just need to try harder, but could someone answer the following questions please?

Questions are as follows:
  1. Can I pair the hub speed sensor with both the PP and Edge and if so what is the sequence of events to do that?
  • Do I need to do this or can I somehow get the speed information onto one of the data screens for the Edge from the PP and if so how do I do that?
  • Can I pair the GSC10 in cadence mode with both the PP and Edge and if so what is the sequence of events to do that?
  • Am missing something about this whole pairing thing?
  • I have a Garmin HRM paired with the Edge. Should I bother pairing that with the PP also and if so how and why?
I'm sure this is very basic, but I just can't seem to work it out and I couldn't find any instructions that specifically addressed how sensors pair with multiple devices.

Thanks
posh

Re: Speed Cadence HRM Sensor Pairing Basic Questions

Post by posh »

Here is my following:
PP Ant
garmin edge 520
garmin chest hrm ant+
wahoo ble/ant+ speed sensor on front hub
wahoo ble/ant+ cadence sensor on left crank

This is what i did:
Switch on edge 520
Spin front wheel to wake up sensor
Turn the crank to wake up sensor

After that, check whether does edge 520 have all the sensor connected (speed, cadence, hrm)

Once connected, press PP button, will get to see flashing for few times and turns to solid green (at the same time, edge 520 will prompt PP is connected), few sec later, solid green will go off.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

whichway wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:09 pm Hi
Sorry if this is a basic question, but I have tried searching and I can't find the answer, so please feel free to send me links if there are already answers elsewhere.

I have the following:
Garmin Edge 1000
PP Ant only model
Garmin hub type speed sensor
Garmin GSC10 used only for cadence

Currently the Hub speed sensor is paired with the PP. I don't think it is paired with the Edge because whenever I go through a tunnel and lose the GPS signal the speed drops to 0.
The cadence sensor is paired to the Edge and not the PP.

I understand how to pair a sensor to the PP, but not to both the PP and Edge. Maybe I just need to try harder, but could someone answer the following questions please?

Questions are as follows:
  1. Can I pair the hub speed sensor with both the PP and Edge and if so what is the sequence of events to do that?
  • Do I need to do this or can I somehow get the speed information onto one of the data screens for the Edge from the PP and if so how do I do that?
  • Can I pair the GSC10 in cadence mode with both the PP and Edge and if so what is the sequence of events to do that?
  • Am missing something about this whole pairing thing?
  • I have a Garmin HRM paired with the Edge. Should I bother pairing that with the PP also and if so how and why?
I'm sure this is very basic, but I just can't seem to work it out and I couldn't find any instructions that specifically addressed how sensors pair with multiple devices.

Thanks
1) PowerPod cannot pair BOTH to your GSC 10 AND your Garmin hub speed sensor. PP will "pick" the GSC10, because it has both speed and cadence. That's OK, as long as your GSC-10 is sending good signals. However, our experience with the GSC-10 is that it is spotty; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Life would be more reliable if you got a Garmin magnet-less cadence sensor, and retired your GSC-10

2) You see cadence data on your Edge; this means your Edge is paired to the GSC-10. In tunnels, if you don't see speed on your Edge then the speed portion of the GSC-10 is not working. Check magnet position. Again, I would recommend you take the GSC-10 off your bike.

3) You can pair your sensors both to PP and Edge.

4) You have too many speed sensors on your bike.

5) If you're using Isaac with your PP and you want to see your HR data then yes, you should pair your HR strap to PP
John Hamann
whichway

Post by whichway »

Hi

Thanks for your reply

Another batch of questions

I got a new separate cadence sensor. So I now have the following

PP
Edge 1000
Garmin speed sensor
Wahoo cadence sensor
Garmin HRM

No Garmin GSC10 combined speed/cadence sensor any more

All the sensors are paired with the Edge. PP is paired with Edge.

1. Do I just run the scan process on the PP once, and it picks up whatever sensors it can find?
2. How do I tell how many sensors the PP has paired with ie can I do this on the bike or do I need to connect back to the PC?
3. Does the PP use the cadence information for power type calcs, or is it just recording this information?

With regard to question 3, I think the PP sometimes indicates low power numbers when I'm coasting. If it is looking at the cadence sensor, and sees 0 cadence, then it would know that I'm not generating any power.

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1. Make sure all your sensors are awake, then pair them to PP

2. When PP starts pairing, it will flash green, when it pairs to your cadence, it will flash red 3 times. When pairing is done the light will show solid green then go out. You can confirm pairing by connecting PP to Isaac and use Edit/Edit Profiles/Extract from Device/Wireless IDs

3. PP uses cadence only to force power to zero when cadence is zero
John Hamann