Powerpod is not recording rides

lchi

Powerpod is not recording rides

Post by lchi »

I wanted to look into the calibration of my Powerpod but it doesn't appear to be recording rides. It IS transmitting power to my head unit (Wahoo Bolt) and has paired with my speed, cadence and HR sensors.

The only ride it ever recorded was a 5min calibration ride I did and has completely missed a 20 min and 1hr ride after that.

What do I have to do to get it to start recording rides? How do I know if it's recording?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod is not recording rides

Post by Velocomp »

My suspicion is that your ride memory is full.

Using Isaac to to Device/Erase All Ride Data

Then try a short ride and see if things are working.
John Hamann
lchi

Post by lchi »

Thanks John - I already checked and cleared the device memory using Isaac before my last hour long ride. The device memory showed as empty after but is still empty now.

Thanks again for your help.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hmm...please do the following:

1) Connect your unit to Isaac

2) Go to Edit/Edit Profiles

3) Click Extract from Device

4) Copy/save the profile, and post it here

5) Go to Device S-N and FW version

6) Take a screen shot and post it here
John Hamann
lchi

Post by lchi »

Here's the extracted profile and FW/serial #
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 12.11.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 12.11.41 PM.png (24.5 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
extracted_profile.ibp
(455 Bytes) Downloaded 194 times
lchi

Post by lchi »

One question that popped up for me today was if this is an issue with the 6.40+ firmware? The release notes indicate that calibration rides are no longer recorded, so perhaps my rides are incorrectly being marked as calibration rides? It also seems like rides not being captured is a symptom others are seeing (viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4706&p=24918&hilit ... ade#p24918)

At first I thought this might be an issue with my PowerPod (purchased used) but it did have rides on it before when it arrived and did capture one short (<5 min) calibration ride BEFORE updating the firmware. That, coupled with the info that others are seeing this lead me to think it is firmware related.

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware to < 6.40 to test this theory?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your profile shows that your PP has not been calibrated at all. This is why you are not seeing any ride files.

Do the following:

1) Wake up all your sensors. Confirm that your speed sensor is working by spinning your wheel, and looking at your bike computer. You should see speed reported on your bike computer

2) Wake up PP. You should see PP show solid yellow (ready for calibration). If you don't see solid yellow, then do a new sensor pairing.

3) If you see solid yellow, then start riding a short distance. You should see flashing red/green

4) If you see flashing red/green, then when ready to calibrate, click the button. the light will flash yellow, and watts will climb from 0 to 50

5) At the 50 mark, the light will turn solid red and watts will stick at 50. STOP, turn around and ride back. The light will flash yellow on the return portion of the ride and watts will climb to 100.

If there is ANYTHING that goes wrong in the above, please report it.

Once the cal ride is complete you should be able to record ride files normally.
John Hamann
lchi

Post by lchi »

Your profile shows that your PP has not been calibrated at all. This is why you are not seeing any ride files.
I'm a little surprised by this because I've been getting power values transmitted to my head unit. Can this happen if the PP has not been calibrated? I've also seen the calibration count from 0-100 before, which has always happened whenever I turn the PP on.

I went out just now and tried the following:

1. Ride out for a few minutes to wake up speed and cadence sensors, and confirmed they were transmitting data by checking my head unit.
2. Woke up the PP, which then displayed solid yellow.
3. Started riding a bit but the light stayed solid yellow and the calibration number crept up from 0-100. The number did not stop at 50 but kept going up even though I did not stop riding. The status LED also never changed from solid yellow. Clicking the button didn't do anything during this period.
4. Eventually the number hit 100, and was 'stuck' for about 30 seconds. After the 30 seconds I started seeing some power numbers in my head unit that were maybe correct?
5. Plugged in the PP, still no ride data (though I only rode for about 30 seconds after 'calibration').

I'm confused now because I never saw the flashing red/green and don't appear to have ever hit the out and back calibration mode. I'm not really sure what to do now, except maybe try a hard reset of the unit?
posh

Post by posh »

This is what i have tried few times before.
1) plug-in pp to computer
2) setup new device and choose the profile number i want, then key-in other rider information, tyre etc...lastly, choose “Best Accuracy”
3) switch on my bike computer
4) ride out and eventually bike computer will prompt connected speed, cadence and hrm
5) due to traffic light etc which i need to stop (while on my way to the place where i want to do my o&b), i just press my pp, will see flashing green, and within sec turns solid green. Then when i continue my ride, it just flashing green and red.
6) minutes later reach my o&b place, stop, press pp, will get to see flashing yellow and off to ride to do o&b.

Hope it helps. :D
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Press hold your PP button for about 10 seconds. Eventually the light will go out momentarily, then start flashing again. Release the button. This does a hard reset of the unit.

Do you have FW 641 loaded? If not, please install it.

Do a new sensor pairing. Then, you should be ready for an out-and-back ride.
John Hamann
lchi

Post by lchi »

Happy to report that the hard reset resolved the problem! After the hard reset I was able to pair the sensors again, do the out and back calibration as you specified and the numbers are looking good. I've also got ride files saved now 8-)

For reference I do have the 6.41 version of the firmware.

Thanks for your help!