having trouble getting reasonable calibration

hugobacon

having trouble getting reasonable calibration

Post by hugobacon »

Hey, I've done three rides and am getting fairly inconsistent numbers - and today's ride was the worst, getting 0W for much of my return trip.

Quick descriptions of each ride:
First ride I had set up to do a best calibration out and back, but it was ready to go much faster than 5 minutes in each direction (is it only 90 seconds each way now?). The ride does not start and end in the same spot, as I went out to a spot where I knew I'd be able to ride without traffic for the out and back (down a pretty rough stretch, it turns out, perhaps I should have found smoother road?) and then had a ride around to check out the readings before heading home. on this ride I got a sprint where I peaked at 1200w, I'd love to believe that I can do that, but wouldn't be surprised if this is a bit high.

For the second ride, I started and ended at the same spot, and I had actually ridden a lap around the block before starting my app recording (which is why the HR doesn't start moving until around 2.5 minutes in - I pull the hr and gps data from strava gpx afterward)...that lap also starts and ends at the same spot. When I run a check calibration on this I get negative fric values :-/

Third ride, today, I was planning to get this dialed in and got worse numbers than ever. It was an out and back ride, again, did a ~3 minute ride around the block hoping that would get things looking good to start out. I split the file so the ride I tried a check calibration on is an out and back along the same route, start and end at the same spot. Had a wind around 17mph from SW, ride headed west, then east (so into headwind, then with tailwind). Was getting ~250w+ reading most of the way out and then averaged a reading <100w most of the way back (including readings of 0w for big stretches). Check calibration doesn't really help with any of it. Wondering what I should do to get this dialed in.
Attachments
iBike_07_13_2018_1028_5_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(199.2 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
iBike_07_15_2018_1149_7_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(317.11 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
iBike_07_20_2018_1103_10_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(391.02 KiB) Downloaded 243 times