PowerStroke stopped working after latest update

the shovel

PowerStroke stopped working after latest update

Post by the shovel »

Says it all. After the latest firmware update, powerstroke no longer works. How to get it back working again?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerStroke stopped working after latest update

Post by Velocomp »

Please post a ride file that illustrates your problem.
John Hamann
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

Attached.
iBike_07_14_2018_1046_13_km_HiDef.ibr
(345.7 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your cadence data is missing; this is why PS is not working.

Make sure your cadence sensor is functioning properly; you can check this on your bike computer.

If it is, then do a hard-reset of your PP. Do a short ride to confirm that you're receiving cadence. Please post the ride file.

If you still don't see cadence, then do a new sensor pairing. That should fix things, but please post the ride file.
John Hamann
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

My cadence sensor reads what appears to be accurately on all my rides. No drop outs, apparently no missing data. Same with my speed sensor and HR sensor. All apparently normal on my Garmin 1000.

I did a hard reset as you suggested. Now the problems have increased.

The power readings are intermittent, and jump around in apparent geometrical ratios. It will read 225 W, then drop to 112, then back up to 172 then zero them back to 225. I wondered whether it's missing one pulse in two, or three, or four from my cadence sensor or my wheel sensor.

On a ride over the weekend it returned almost to normal whenever I got in the hot sun, so I wondered if it was the sensor batteries, which I had changed about 3 weeks ago. So I changed them again with new, brand name batteries. No change. Power readings are still jumping around. Tomorrow I'll try different sensors - I have spares.

A couple of weeks ago I got a puncture on my front tubeless tire, and it sprayed sealant on my bike. Some may have got into the powered wind port. That's another possibility.

Whatever it is, perhaps you can see it on the latest ride file. It shows pretty low wattage, but my Garmin segments times for this ride were my best ever up two hills. Couldn't have done that with the wattage showing on this file.
iBike_07_24_2018_1744_36_km_HiDef.ibr
(881.43 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your wind data is low and you cadence sensor data is still missing.

I would do the following:

1) Re-pair your sensors to PP.

2) Connect PP to Isaac.

3) Confirm that your cadence sensor has registered, in Edit/Edit Profiles/Extract from Device/Wireless IDs

4) Use Device/Device Setup/Best Accuracy to put your PP into O&B calibration mode

5) Do a new O&B calibration, then a short ride afterwards

6) Post the ride file
John Hamann
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

Thanks for your help, John.

I think it's working properly now. Unreasonable power fluctuations have stopped, and PowerStroke is working again. It's my fault - I didn't remember that the sensors must be added to the profile and cannot be switched without re-pairing.

Here's the file.
iBike_07_26_2018_0907_33_km_HiDef.ibr
(945.45 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

Still having a few questions about accuracy. Power fluctuations show up at two places in the first ride file - at the 02:35 mark there's a power surge far about my maximum, and going downhill. Then again at 39:40 to 40:30 there's a peak for about a minute that I thought was out of proportion to pedalling effort. I was going downhill and not putting a huge effort in.
iBike_08_02_2018_1003_31_km_HiDef.ibr
(930.66 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
On the second ride, there was a very high power spike right at the beginning. The rest looked normal to me until near the end, when it showed a much higher reading pedalling downhill than it felt I was putting out. It's at about 1:28:00, and I was going downhill, pedalling what felt to me like light power, and it spiked up quite high.
iBike_07_31_2018_1839_27_km_HiDef.ibr
(954.94 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
The rest of it is intuitively right - feels proportionate to effort.

If you could take a look at the files I'd appreciate it. As mentioned in a previous post, I got a front puncture using a tubeless tire and got latex sprayed all up the front of the bike, including some on the power pod.

Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I think your wind calibration is off. I would do a new cal ride.

Your wind scaling factor is very high, about 3.6. Hopefully you did not get tire goop into the wind port...

Finally, your PP seems to be differently positioned at the beginning of each of these two rides. This may be the cause of the strange power spikes at the beginning of the rides.
John Hamann
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

Positioning the PP in the same place at the start of each ride has been a major pain. I've used the original mount, another Go-Pro mount, and the K-edge. None of them has a positive stop at the end of its rotation on the bolt. If you press a bit harder, you can move it a bit more. And despite my shimming the PP in the mount so it has very little room for movement, I am still getting power spikes at the start of rides. The K-Edge mount is torqued on very tight. I'm sure it doesn't move. And I tighten the PP holding screw with a crescent wrench to make sure it's solid.

I can't seem to complete a calibration ride. Has there been a change in the best quality calibration sequence?

Here's what I did, and how the PP responded.

I woke up the sensors and the Garmin 1000. Made sure they're registered.

I mounted the powerpod.

Press PP button to activate it

Press and hold to go into pairing mode (green) until cadence and speed sensors are registered with PP by spinning them up manually. (solid green when speed is linked)

Rode the bike a block away to quiet road for out and back ride

Pulled over where I could see the light on the PP.

Turned on PP - light is solid "yellow" (orange).

Started riding - light alternated red and green.

Pressed PP button to start calibration ride. Flashed yellow. Power reading on Garmin climbs slowly from zero to 50 W

Just past 50W, the light turned solid red. Stopped. Turned around.

Started riding back along the O-B path. Light flashing yellow again.

Rode back to start point. Power went to zero (I was coasting slightly downhill.) But now light started flashing yellow again and watts started counting up from zero just as at start of calibration ride.

Tried this 3 times. Did the same thing each time. Doesn't seem to want to end calibration ride.

During this sequence I did NOT press "start ride" on my Garmin. Should I have done so?

Can you see something I'm missing in the sequence?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps
John Hamann
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

Got my PP back after sending it in for repairs. I'm very impressed with the support you and your team provide for this product. Thank you!

I have attached my first post-calibration ride file. Can you please check it to be sure the calibration is right? I just noted my HR monitor did not pair up. I'll fix that. And I see the date on the ride is wrong - it should be August 21, not July 20.

Please note the elevation spike at the end of the ride. It's real - I put my bike on the carrier and drove home, up a hill.

And now a question about whether, and when, to use the "Analyze" feature in Isaac. What's your advice?

Thanks,
iBike_07_20_2018_0324_20_km_HiDef.ibr
(606.54 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This looks good.

Your date will be "fixed" in your next ride, now that you have connected PP to Isaac.

No need to use the Analyze feature...your PP is properly calibrated. Analyze feature can be useful when you have an out-back ride, of short length, and want to check your calibration. Otherwise, leave it be...
John Hamann
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

Thank you.