Avoiding recalibration at the start of a ride

FrankH

Avoiding recalibration at the start of a ride

Post by FrankH »

I think I must be a bit slow on the uptake but I think I finally figured out why my PowerPod was recalibrating at the beginning of every ride.
I had followed the instructions, making sure the PP was pushed all the way forward in the mount etc but still it would show either zero watts or unfeasably high watts at the start of a ride. I had been finishing the ride and immediately taking the PP off the bike and connecting it to my computer to download the ride file. But having read a few of the threads here something clicked. At the end of my last but one ride I pressed the button five times to switch the PP off before removing it. Today's ride gave me sensible power figures at the start of the ride.

I guess that as long as the bike is in more or less the same position (in my case, leaning against the same wall) when the PP is switched off and when it is refitted and switched on it shouldn't need to recalibrate.
texbiker

Re: Avoiding recalibration at the start of a ride

Post by texbiker »

If you have firmware 6.4 the recalibration shrinks from 8 minute to 90 seconds. Also I only take my PP off once a week to minimize the position change.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

I have the latest firmware. Displaying zero watts or unfeasibly high watts for the first half mile was still a minor irritation.

My bike lives in the garage where there is no power outlet so the PowerPod can't stay on the bike.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

FrankH wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:14 pm I have the latest firmware. Displaying zero watts or unfeasibly high watts for the first half mile was still a minor irritation.

My bike lives in the garage where there is no power outlet so the PowerPod can't stay on the bike.
Each time you attach PP to your bike, make sure you (gently) press on the top of it, behind the button, to rotate PP sky-ward. When you feel PP tabs hit the mount, tighten the screw so that PP cannot rotate.

If you get PP mounted at the same angle for each of your rides, even your first 90 seconds should be fine.
John Hamann
Parallelfish

Post by Parallelfish »

I achieved improved consistency by orienting the mount such that the unit mounting screw inserts from the left side.That way any torque transferred to the unit while tightening is forcing the unit up against the tab.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Velocomp wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:12 pm time you attach PP to your bike, make sure you (gently) press on the top of it, behind the button, to rotate PP sky-ward. When you feel PP tabs hit the mount, tighten the screw so that PP cannot rotate.

If you get PP mounted at the same angle for each of your rides, even your first 90 seconds should be fine.
I was doing that but still it would recalibrate. I think switching it off at the end of each ride is important, otherwise it remembers where it was when it decides to go to sleep, i.e. probably on its side, connected to a USB charger. Or have I misunderstood how PowerPod functions?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Whenever PP is awake and the wheel with the speed sensor is moving, PP thinks you're riding the bike.

So, after the ride, the bike is in a funny position, for example lying on its side, with the wheel turning, that could screw-up the tilt calibration.

To prevent this, you can click the button five times in succession. The light will show solid yellow, green, and red, then turn off. This turns off PP and avoids any possible problems with odd tilt settings.
John Hamann
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Velocomp wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:23 am Whenever PP is awake and the wheel with the speed sensor is moving, PP thinks you're riding the bike.

So, after the ride, the bike is in a funny position, for example lying on its side, with the wheel turning, that could screw-up the tilt calibration.

To prevent this, you can click the button five times in succession. The light will show solid yellow, green, and red, then turn off. This turns off PP and avoids any possible problems with odd tilt settings.
That's what I've just figured out. It "only" took me three months. I started this thread because I thought it might save some other PowerPod users a bit of head scratching.