Could Power/AeroPod do this?

GooseRider

Could Power/AeroPod do this?

Post by GooseRider »

https://newatlas.com/shredmate-mountain ... ter/51150/

Would be a nice add on feature for mountain biking ...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Could Power/AeroPod do this?

Post by Velocomp »

We've thought about this; it would be a pretty easy change to our firmware. We're not sure how many people would want it...
John Hamann
GooseRider

Re: Could Power/AeroPod do this?

Post by GooseRider »

Thinking you first created the basic power meter. For road you then added the ability to measure aerodynamic drag broadening the market to cyclists who already have DFPMs, triathletes and racers.

In the mountain biking space one can use a DFPM but that really only captures the uphill portion. If you do XC the uphill portion is very important. However, if you do all-mountain/enduro/DH the downhill portion is also really important. There is no solution for that.

So, being able with the AeroPod to measure power on the uphill is great. Especially if it can provide accurate readings even on bobbing full suspension bikes. This allows road racers, such as I, to cross train on my mountain bike and still have all the metrics correct. Now since you have the accelerometers etc, you could do lots of cool things both up and downhill. 1) You could color code the trail on the map based on surface roughness; 2) measure air time and landings; 3) zoom into jump and show bike trajectory through the jump.

Wondering if there could be a niche for mountain bikers as well. People spend more on mountain bikes than they do on road bikes.

Just my 5c. I am planning on getting the aero pod for the CdA measurement and to have a power meter easily transferable between bikes. On my main race bike I do have a DFPM but not on my mtb.