Power Reading Dropouts between Garmin 1000 and PowerPod

the shovel

Power Reading Dropouts between Garmin 1000 and PowerPod

Post by the shovel »

I'm wondering what to do about my latest ride, which had my Garmin 1000 edge showing plenty of zero power readings and occasional disconnection from PowerPod.

I started both normally, stopped when I reached the meeting point for a group ride, and my Garmin went to sleep while waiting for others to arrive. When I woke it up to start the ride, the PowerPod had also gone to sleep, so I woke it up after restarting the Garmin and spinning up the front wheel to activate my contactless speed sensor.

It appears that the problem is not in the PowerPod, which seems to have recorded the ride normally, but in the PP to Garmin transmission or in the Garmin itself. First time this has happened.

I've attached a screenshot comparing the Garmin Connect power trace with the Isaac power trace. You can see the drop outs clearly in the Garmin Connect trace, but the Isaac power readings look normal to me.

I've also included my ride file.

Another possible clue - I changed the batteries on both my cadence and speed sensors before the ride.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick
iBike_07_05_2018_1807_27_km_HiDef.csv
(455.47 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 9.34.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 9.34.20 AM.png (121.72 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Power Reading Dropouts between Garmin 1000 and PowerPod

Post by Velocomp »

I would restart both your Garmin and your PP. We have had no reports of this from others...

You can merge your Garmin file to the PP file, to get proper combination of GPS and power data.
John Hamann
the shovel

Post by the shovel »

Thanks, John. The merge took care of the discrepancies on that ride.

If there's a repeat of the dropouts on subsequent rides I'll post again. Otherwise, it will have been only a transitory glitch.
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 pm I would restart both your Garmin and your PP. We have had no reports of this from others...
It#s probably worth reminding you about the same issue with the Garmin 820. This looks to be exactly the same thing.
https://www.velocompforum.com/viewtopic ... out#p22019
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Darkstar wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:20 pm
Velocomp wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 pm I would restart both your Garmin and your PP. We have had no reports of this from others...
It#s probably worth reminding you about the same issue with the Garmin 820. This looks to be exactly the same thing.
https://www.velocompforum.com/viewtopic ... out#p22019
Actually, I doubt this is the same problem. If you read the thread you reference, you'll find that we researched things and determined that the 820 was having dropout problems. There were six pages of complaints on the Garmin forum...
John Hamann
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

Exactly.
It appears that the problem is not in the PowerPod, which seems to have recorded the ride normally, but in the PP to Garmin transmission or in the Garmin itself. First time this has happened.
The issues appear to be Garmin & given the pattern in the 820 may well be software. Garmin seem good at adding bugs to things that used to work fine when the software updates... Could this be software in the 1000?
(I seem to get fewer problems nowadays, but I always wake the powerpod before the Garmin, which seems to help (or maybe the software is OK now ??)