Exaggerated watts in strong winds?

sjakiepiet

Exaggerated watts in strong winds?

Post by sjakiepiet »

Dear John, VeloComp,

I am a happy user of the PowerPod. During my last ride however, in strong winds, the PowerPod reported watts that are definitively out of my league. On indoor rides on my smart trainer (Taxc Vortex Smart) my FTP is 250W. On outdoor rides with the PowerPod, I usually see somewhat higher power and I guesstimate my "outdoor" FTP to be around 275-280W.

On my outdoor ride yesterday however, I averaged 368W for 10 minutes and 333 for 20 minutes in a section with headwinds. I am sure that I should not able to hold those wattages. Also, while the ride was tough, I did not perform a maximal effort. So I suspect that the windy conditions perhaps inflated my wattages. Could you please have a look?

I attached the ride. It is an Out and Back ride, wind conditions did not change and I performed a Analyse Route.

Thanks! Koen
Attachments
iBike_06_21_2018_2007_59_km.ibr
(623.93 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
sjakiepiet

Re: Exaggerated watts in strong winds?

Post by sjakiepiet »

Slightly cheeky bump... ;)

I'm quite interested in your ideas on the high reported watts. I see for example that (as per your company's statement) the aeropod performs better in crosswind situations. Am I hitting the limitations of the PowerPod here, meaning sometimes less reliable in strong winds?

Thanks!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Exaggerated watts in strong winds?

Post by Velocomp »

I agree your headwind readings are a bit high.

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com

Tom may have a way to help you!
John Hamann