POWER POD Watts Low Compared to Smart Trainer Watts

andrewschear

POWER POD Watts Low Compared to Smart Trainer Watts

Post by andrewschear »

Hi there, was doing so comparisons, and I think the numbers I'm getting on my power pod, while consistent are way lower than what I get on the Smart trainer (at least 50 watts at same HR). See the attached file for a recent FTP test.

If I am to train on both my BKool Trainer and Power Pod I need the numbers at given HR to be closer.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew
Attachments
FTP_test_HiDef.ibr
(427.86 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
kevlar_heart

Re: POWER POD Watts Low Compared to Smart Trainer Watts

Post by kevlar_heart »

andrewschear wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:53 pm Hi there, was doing so comparisons, and I think the numbers I'm getting on my power pod, while consistent are way lower than what I get on the Smart trainer (at least 50 watts at same HR). See the attached file for a recent FTP test.

If I am to train on both my BKool Trainer and Power Pod I need the numbers at given HR to be closer.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew
If I can add to this....it would be great if VeloComp could add BKOOL to its list of trainers. Is there something we can do to get the companies together?
Never give a gun to ducks. No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.
andrewschear

Post by andrewschear »

Tom or John...any thoughts?

Thanks.

Andrew
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

My Powerpod was giving me higher power than my Kickr Snap by about 40W. I then bought a dual leg Powerbeat from Watteam so I could have same reference inside and outside. The Powerbeat agreed with the Powerpod. Subsequent to that I reached out to Wahoo and they told me my spin down times were too long and that I should aim for 18-19s. Doing that the Powerbeat is now within a few watt from the Kickr Snap and gives similar wattage to the Powerpod.

Moral of story is that power calibration of indoor trainer can be quite sensitive to operating conditions. Also, your Powerpod is also somewhat sensitive to CdA in particular but probably not to the tune of 40W unless something is wrong with setup/calibration.

Morten