Please Check Calibration and Ride Files

NickBean

Please Check Calibration and Ride Files

Post by NickBean »

Hi John,

I’ve been using my PowerPod on two different road bikes for the last 11 months or so. Based on the O&B calibration rides for each bike (see attached files dated 2 July 2017 & 15 July 2017), I’ve always assumed that the power data recorded by my PowerPod, in particular the average power, has been accurate for my subsequent solo training rides.

However, having recently analysed some of my training rides using Issac’s “Check Calibration” function, I’m not sure if the average power recorded by my PowerPod is accurate for some rides. There are a few rides I have checked where the “Calibration Changes” / “Significance of Profile Change” has been reported as “Significant” (e.g. see attached file dated 8 July 2017). If I have correctly understood this information, the recorded average power for this particular ride is 63 W higher than it should be. There are other ride files I have checked (which I am not able to attach due to the 3 files limit) where the recorded average power is around 30 W higher than it should be.

As I have yet to make any changes to the profiles for each of my bikes, I would be grateful if you could please suggest any profile changes (or other changes) that I should make in order for the average power readings recorded by my PowerPod to be more accurate for future rides.

I am fairly certain that when switching my PowerPod between bikes, the position of my PowerPod has remained constant (i.e. PowerPod logo parallel to the ground, no cables interfering with the wind port, thumb screw sufficiently tightened to prevent PowerPod moving etc.). None of the files I have checked show any recalibration during the first 8 minutes of a ride.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Nick Bean
Attachments
iBike_07_02_2017_1627_3_Miles_CalRide.ibr
(43.11 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Please Check Calibration and Ride Files

Post by Velocomp »

Hi Nick:

Plesase post some actual ride files, not cal rides, that illustrate your problem.
John Hamann
NickBean

Post by NickBean »

Hi John,

Please find attached three ride files for my two different road bikes.

For two of these ride files (same bike - 8 July 2017 & 26 March 2018), when using Isaac's "Check Calibration" function, the “Calibration Changes” / “Significance of Profile Change” has been reported as “Significant”. If I have correctly understood this information, the recorded average power for these particular rides of 303 W & 273 W is 63 W & 33 W respectively higher than it should be.

For the other ride file (different bike - 22 May 2018), the “Calibration Changes” / “Significance of Profile Change” has been reported as “Noticeable Change”, the recorded average power of 265 W is 26 W higher than it should be.

I may have misunderstood the "Check Calibration" information in Isaac for the attached files, but there seems to be some fairly noticeable discrepancies between the recorded average power values, i.e. 303 W, 273 W & 265 W and the recalculated values of 240 W, 240 W & 239 W.

I would be grateful for any advice you could offer in this matter.

Regards,

Nick Bean
Attachments
iBike_07_08_2017_1412_23_Miles.ibr
(218.69 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
NickBean

Post by NickBean »

Hi John,

Please advise if you've had a chance to review the rides files I attached to my message dated 4 June 2018.

Regards,

Nick Bean
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Nick:

Please email me at jhamann@velocomp.com
John Hamann
NickBean

Post by NickBean »

Hi John,

I've sent you an email as requested.

Regards,

Nick Bean
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Hi Nick:

I replied yesterday. Did you receive the email?
John Hamann
NickBean

Post by NickBean »

Hi John,

Yes, I received your email. It ended up in my spam folder so I hadn't realised you'd replied until I read your message on this forum.

Many thanks for your detailed explanation and observations for the three ride files I posted. I now have a better understanding of some of the nuances that can make a difference to the average power values during a ride.

I’m also pleased to know that two of the three ride files are fine and assume I don’t need to make any changes to the calibration profiles etc.

Thanks again.

Nick Bean