review ride file please

Biff

review ride file please

Post by Biff »

I am especially curious about 11:30 to about 14:00 as the power seems to disappear.
Attachments
iBike_05_28_2018_1010_11_Miles.ibr
(130.38 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: review ride file please

Post by Velocomp »

In the section you're asking about, your PP shifted its position on your bike. Make sure your PP and mount cannot rotate on the bike.
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thankyou.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Hi again John,

Would you please check this one and tell me what happened at min 3-5?
As it happened, I suddenly noticed no power. I pedaled a bit harder and nothing. I looked at the PP and no lights at all. I pressed the power button and saw a green light come on, still was seeing no power on my fenix 5x so I figured i'd sprint and see if that "kicked" it in, well as soon as I started sprinting, i had power again and for the rest of the ride.
Thanks.
Attachments
iBike_05_31_2018_1932_6_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(229.32 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Biff

Post by Biff »

Forgot to add that, obviously, it had been turned on and i saw a green light and it paired with my garmin...all at the start of the ride. Also, I fixed the issue from the top of this post by zip tying my cables a little tighter to the handlebars so they did not push into the PP when turning right and consequently moving the PP a bit so I really don't beliwve there was any movement of the unit in this case. Besides, it was a straight away anyway.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

What kind of bike are you riding?
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

Fuji Transonic
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please post images of your PP mounted on your bike. Top, front, and side views.
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

files are too big. what size do they need to be.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

make them 500KB or less, each
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

20180602_133527 (1).jpg
20180602_133527 (1).jpg (124.25 KiB) Viewed 10120 times
20180602_133538 (1).jpg
20180602_133538 (1).jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 10120 times
20180602_133546 (1).jpg
20180602_133546 (1).jpg (98.68 KiB) Viewed 10120 times
Biff

Post by Biff »

bump
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your PP looks to be properly mounted to your bike.

What happened is that the slope went extremely negative during the period you note (see image). Why this happened I do not know, but it is not because of anything wrong with your mount.

And why it came back is just as big a mystery...

As a precaution I would do a hard reset of your unit. Let us know if this happens again...
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

Will do. Thankyou.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Hi John,

Since my last post,I did a 14 mile ride in the misty rain and PP results were fine. I took PP off bike, downloaded the ride files (it was split in 2 due to a long pause in the middle) and there it sat till today when i got home, mounted PP and after waking all sensors, pressed PP button and got a steady green. I went for short ride and all seemed fine. Now when I get home and download ride file, it is dated 3/20/18.

Now that I have obviously connected to Isaac to download it, is it safe to presume the date has been corrected internally and my NEXT ride will be fine?
What would cause this?

Thanks,

Bif
Biff

Post by Biff »

dooh, I posted too soon. I just looked at the ride data and todays ride is missing the 2 extra fields that were there on Sunday from my heart strap- Hr and wasted watts. Plus, cadence is not there yet i had cadence all during the ride! I will add that the cadence is a brand new garmin non magnet kind bought for use with this PP and new bike.

so it would seem PP lost pairing to my HR strap and reset itself during this week of non use?
Last edited by Biff on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I'm posting Sundays successfull ride (pt2) and then todays ride because another weird thiing is today's shows no out of saddle even though there was more than on the sunday ride.
iBike_06_04_2018_1243_10_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(335.29 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
iBike_03_20_2018_2253_11_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(307.57 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Biff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 pm Hi John,

Since my last post,I did a 14 mile ride in the misty rain and PP results were fine. I took PP off bike, downloaded the ride files (it was split in 2 due to a long pause in the middle) and there it sat till today when i got home, mounted PP and after waking all sensors, pressed PP button and got a steady green. I went for short ride and all seemed fine. Now when I get home and download ride file, it is dated 3/20/18.

Now that I have obviously connected to Isaac to download it, is it safe to presume the date has been corrected internally and my NEXT ride will be fine?
What would cause this?

Thanks,

Bif
Your unit was hard reset. When this happens the date is reset. Once you connect PP to Isaac the correct date/time is reestablished.
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

Sorry, just noticed I had my days/date wrong. Monday the 4th was the previous successful ride which is attached above.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Biff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:52 pm I'm posting Sundays successfull ride (pt2) and then todays ride because another weird thiing is today's shows no out of saddle even though there was more than on the sunday ride.iBike_06_04_2018_1243_10_Miles_HiDef.ibriBike_03_20_2018_2253_11_Miles_HiDef.ibr
Your 6/4 ride is fine. Out-of-saddle is approximate; don't worry if it does not show up perfectly.
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yea, ok. Now how/why did it reset during the 3 days it sat unused and why is today's ride missing HR, wasted watts, and cadence?
Biff

Post by Biff »

re: out of saddle, you are saying it is normal for it to see it on one 10 mile ride, but on another day and a 10 mile ride it may not see any of it even though I'm out of saddle more?
That seems almost useless.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I'm guessing, but perhaps your 3/20 ride file was on a unit that was very low on charge.

The 3/20 ride file does not show cadence or HR wireless IDs. That is why you don't see that data.

Your 6/4 ride shows HR/cadence IDs. That is why you see the data.

I see wasted watts, HR and cadence data in the 6/4 ride.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 7.44.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 7.44.12 PM.png (140.46 KiB) Viewed 10061 times
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

"I'm guessing, but perhaps your 3/20 ride file was on a unit that was very low on charge. "

No, It spent the time between rides plugged into usb charger.

"The 3/20 ride file does not show cadence or HR wireless IDs. That is why you don't see that data."

I agree, that's what I posted about. Why are those suddenly missing?

"Your 6/4 ride shows HR/cadence IDs. That is why you see the data.
I see wasted watts, HR and cadence data in the 6/4 ride."

Also agree, seems obvious enough.

So, I think most of my questions remain unanswered:

1)Why did it reset itself in between rides?

2)Why does the 3/20 ride lack cadence and hr wireless ID's suddenly?

3)How do I restore those ID's

4)Out of saddle: you are saying it is normal for it to recognize it one ride but not another days ride. As though it's a 50/50 shot whether it shows up? Am I understanding that correctly?

5)All these experiences in a weeks usage is still under the term "normal"? That would imply I can expect many more random resets and lost wireless id's, correct?

Confused.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Biff wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 pm "I'm guessing, but perhaps your 3/20 ride file was on a unit that was very low on charge. "

No, It spent the time between rides plugged into usb charger.

"The 3/20 ride file does not show cadence or HR wireless IDs. That is why you don't see that data."

I agree, that's what I posted about. Why are those suddenly missing?

"Your 6/4 ride shows HR/cadence IDs. That is why you see the data.
I see wasted watts, HR and cadence data in the 6/4 ride."

Also agree, seems obvious enough.

So, I think most of my questions remain unanswered:

1)Why did it reset itself in between rides?

2)Why does the 3/20 ride lack cadence and hr wireless ID's suddenly?

3)How do I restore those ID's

4)Out of saddle: you are saying it is normal for it to recognize it one ride but not another days ride. As though it's a 50/50 shot whether it shows up? Am I understanding that correctly?

5)All these experiences in a weeks usage is still under the term "normal"? That would imply I can expect many more random resets and lost wireless id's, correct?

Confused.
1) I don't know

2) I don't know, but I suspect your 3/20 ride was on a ride where the firmware was not in a stable condition. Your 6/4 ride was ok.

3) The IDs are there; my suspicion is that your unit had somehow gotten confused on the 3/20 ride. It appears to be OK now

4) Have you never had to restart your phone, internet, computer, TV, or even car? If a computer gets into a wacky condition, things go wrong in very unexpected ways.

5) They are as normal as your computer, phone, etc. working 100% of the time, without ever requiring a restart.
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

What would cause the firmware to get unstable and can it be avoided by me?

Regarding resetting things, yes I have on some things, once in a while. I work in IT and do the same at work and the times I've had to reset this device in less than 10 days of owning it seem high compared to all previous experience with electronics for the last 20+ years, that is exactly my point.

Should I be resetting (hold for 10 sec) every time I want to use it?

"3) The IDs are there; my suspicion is that your unit had somehow gotten confused on the 3/20 ride. It appears to be OK now"

Can I ask, what makes you say "it appears to be ok now"? I'm uncertain how you could possibly say or know that? The 3/20 ride is the last ride I have done, yesterday 6/7/18. It is the one missing the ID's and the cadence, HR, and wasted watts. Please expand on that.

Am I also understanding you to say that my next ride, tomorrow, it will have the 3 sensors back that went missing on yesterdays ride? There's nothing I should do since the last ride (yesterday) with the fail? It will just be working correctly tomorrow when i go for a ride? Please clarify.

"5) They are as normal as your computer, phone, etc. working 100% of the time, without ever requiring a restart."

Well, I never claimed it should be 100% and to suggest I am is a tad disingenuous. I'm at about 50% issues to rides so far. I think my questions and concerns are fair.

Please answer the above and I will keep plugging away trying to make sense of all this. I really want to love this device.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The most important thing to keep your PP healthy is to keep it charged, and to not punch its status button while riding.

I can no more answer your question about why PP would might become unstable than I can answer why my iPhone occasionally requires a restart (this happened today). What I can say is that restarts are rare; I cannot remember anytime in the past 3 years that I have had to restart my PP.

No, I would NOT do a hard reset every ride. This is a last-resort procedure. But if your most recent ride was problematic, a hard-reset is a good prophylactic.

I say your ride file looks OK because it DOES look OK. If your most recent ride file is the one that was not right, then do a hard-reset, then update your date/time in Isaac; all should be well.

Sensor IDs are permanently stored in profile memory. Even if something else is confused, your profile should remain intact.

I've seen 2 ride files. If your failure rate is 50%, does this mean you've done only two rides? Or, that you have a ton more rides with problems? If you are seeing a large failure rate, that IS a problem that falls outside of occasional glitches.
John Hamann
Biff

Post by Biff »

ok, today I will reset, then reconnect to isaac, then ride and hopefully all should be well.

Yes, there have been other troubles with short 1-2 mile test rides that I haven't posted or mentioned, however, in this latest post of yours you said something potentially significant: " not punch its status button while riding."

I HAVE had to do that a few times on a few rides as it connected then disappeared a minute or two into the ride. So if you asked me how many rides have occurred where the PP was in a happy state, maybe not so much.

Thank you.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Got rained out yesterday but just now I went out. PP was seen right away in my garmin and all during the ride cadence, power, speed etc looked good. Now when I get home and download cadence, wasted watts and HR all missing still. Also, i click powerstroke and it doesnt work- i get the pop up to load a sample one.
What is going on??
iBike_06_10_2018_0957_11_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(311.71 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
One more thing with regard to your instructions for mounting the PP on the garmin mount. You say to tighten it down and then push forward/up so it hits the stop and then finish tightening. I do and have been doing that but this morning I happened to notice that mine can pivot about an 1/8 inch back and forth pretty easily after finger tightening as hard as I can. I then grabbed a pliers and tightened it a bit more and it doesn't remove any of the play.
Is that movement supposed to be there?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your PP is paired only to your speed sensor. That is why you don't see cadence, HR and PowerStroke in your ride file.

You will need to wake up all your sensors, then do a new pairing to PP. That will fix that problem.

I'm not sure what is going on with your mount; please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann