Question about downhill power (and a couple of other Qs)

FrankH

Question about downhill power (and a couple of other Qs)

Post by FrankH »

Hi John

I've been using my Powerpod for a couple of months now and I have a couple of questions. First my setup: I use a Wahoo Rflkt and the Wahoo phone app on my Android phone so I have a lag of about a second or two. I'm used to it and it isn't a problem.

1. When climbing or riding on the flat, the power displayed seems to be about right, i.e. I know I'm working hard up hills and the power displayed shows that I'm working hard. However, on the downhills the power displayed is often very low, sometimes even zero although I can feel that I'm putting effort through the pedals. I've attached my latest ride file, 14.5 miles to 15.5 miles is a good example. Is this normal or does it need recalibrating?
2. My Powerpod is mounted pointing upwards. I'd like to have it more level, do I need to do another out and back calibration ride or will a one way calibration ride suffice? (Is the angle of the Powerpod adversely affecting the power measurements? Photo attached (the ridges on the garage wall in the background are vertical)).
3. I recently didn't ride for about 10 days. I charged the Powerpod after the previous ride but when I came to try to use it it was discharged which, I guess, is why the next ride had the wrong date and time and had to be corrected. I had charged it using a USB charger rather than connecting it to a computer. Since it discharges in less than 10 days I'd like to leave it connected to a charger, is there any reason not to do this?
Attachments
2018_05_19_1105_40_Miles.ibr
(582.44 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Question about downhill power (and a couple of other Qs)

Post by Velocomp »

1) Your PP looks to be properly calibrated. There is no reason to change its mounting angle.

2) Your power on the flats and hills looks fine. On downhills it is lower, but it's not clear that there is a problem. On downhills your bike is moved mostly by gravity, and in general it's difficult to ride fast enough to keep your power level up. I would not worry about this.

3) your mounting angle is fine; no need to change it

4) PP will slowly discharge when not used. It is fine to keep it connected to a USB charger when not in use.
John Hamann