GoPro mount types

darthmonkey

GoPro mount types

Post by darthmonkey »

I hear from other comments that 'not all GoPro mounts will fit the PowerPod', also that machined aluminium is the only recommended type rather than plastic, and finally that there needs to be a flat 'top' to the mount so that when tilted forward, it stops at the same place.
With all this in mind, I'd like a stem faceplate mount which will fit these categories. I found the 'LifeLine Stem Faceplate Mount' from 'chainreactioncycles.com', but I'm now unsure the GoPro mount will fit.
I did purchase a generic stem mount, which was too big for the PowerPod and I don't want to repeat the mistake, so was hoping someone would be able to point out which type of GoPro mount will fit, and which type to avoid (assuming there are 'types').
jpl315

Re: GoPro mount types

Post by jpl315 »

I use a K-Edge combo mount, Garmin 520 on top and PowerPod on the bottom.

https://k-edge.com/shop/computer-mounts ... mbo-mount/
speedyvelo

Post by speedyvelo »

...if you have an integrated handlebar that often had two bolts under to mount computer etc, this works perfect

REC-MOUNTS Type30 Garmin Combo Mount (Integrated Handlebar, With the lower part adapter)

That you can get from Amazon.

-=terry=-
darthmonkey

Post by darthmonkey »

Thanks for all the hints!
As it took a few days for a reply, and I'm impatient, I jumped the gun and purchased a generic (Stem-Computer-Mount-Cycling-Bike-Mount-Handle-Bar-Extension-for-Garmin-Gopro):
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stem-Comput ... 2749.l2649
This seems to work fine, it's a tiny bit loose, so needs extra strength to tighten fully, and doesn't have the flat stop part to prevent the device from moving. I am however, about to go to Bunnings, and pick up a 'metal putty' so I can mold it into the top of the GoPro inserts while soft, and when it hardens, should help it stay in place.
naavt

Post by naavt »

jpl315 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:42 pm I use a K-Edge combo mount, Garmin 520 on top and PowerPod on the bottom.

Hi,

I have the same mount but my Wahoo Bolt tilts slightly downwards when PP is leveled. I assume your mount doesn’t allow PP to move (like mine), so the whole mount has to be rotated for PP to stay leveled.

Do you feel the same with your Garmin computer?
stevepmoore

Post by stevepmoore »

Hi,

I have the Lifeline stem face-plate mount (the one with the pointed back). When the PP is fitted and levelled, the rear of the PP sits about 2mm clear of the face-plate to my stem. Depending on the type of stem/thickness of face plate you have, you may find you have clearance issues with this mount. It works for me, but only just.

Steve
oxenhoper

Post by oxenhoper »

Hi

This works fine for me...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZTTO-Alloy-B ... 2749.l2649

No stop but if you are careful and make sure the Powerpod logo is square to the ground and fully tightened ( use the allen key bolt not thumb screw) and it fits the bill perfectly.

Use it in all my TT's and power numbers have been spot on .. got me within 10 seconds of an all time best on a 40K.

Steve
darthmonkey

Post by darthmonkey »

naavt wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:13 am
jpl315 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:42 pm I use a K-Edge combo mount, Garmin 520 on top and PowerPod on the bottom.

Hi,

I have the same mount but my Wahoo Bolt tilts slightly downwards when PP is leveled. I assume your mount doesn’t allow PP to move (like mine), so the whole mount has to be rotated for PP to stay leveled.

Do you feel the same with your Garmin computer?
I found that on both my Cannondale CAADX and Canyon, the PowerPod and Garmin were nicely level, but imagine that different bikes will have odd levels based on the stem angle.
darthmonkey

Post by darthmonkey »

Instructions on how to mount using the above generic mount:
It appears that my mount type works absolutely fine for both my bikes, I did go out and get some 'Selleys Knead It Steel' and while soft, pushed it into place in the mount with the PowerPod flat top.
It was a little fiddly, and I managed to get some of the putty on the PowerPod, but it came off with a scrub.
One thing to remember if you try this, is to make sure the bike is perfectly level, and if in a stand, the front is as high as the back. You'll then be able to eye-level the PowerPod. I used a spirit level, but found it impractical, and unnecessary, eye-level using the writing is fine.
  • Get it all set up, and have the thumbscrew handy.
  • Open the 'Selleys Knead It Steel', and knead it a bit, I found it goes hot and smelly, possibly a bit too soft when it's ready.
  • Roll it out 'really' thinly and slide it into the left slot on the bike GoPro mount, it should stick there.
  • Push the PowerPod into the mount, and ensure it pushes some of the putty out, if not, repeat until it does.
  • Ensure the PowerPod isn't pushed in too much, by attempting to slide the thumbscrew in while inserting it, when lined up, it should shoot through, as least the first part.
  • Remove the PP, and scrape any excess off, I used a Stanly Knive blade, but anything which ensures a decent flat edge.
  • Wait for it to set and try it again, if it's too high, repeat, too low, and you can scrape some off, or start again.
  • DO NOT LEAVE THE POWERPOD ATTACHED WHILE IT'S SETTING. I put that in caps, but it'd probably be okay if you pulled it hard enough. :)
  • Finally, once it's completely set, use a black marker to colour it in.
While I did it on my first bike, I found that when putting the PP back in, it didn't quite line up properly, but a small scrape with a thin flat edged screwdriver allowed it to get into place.