Power smoothing Dynamic versus 0 (zero)

speedyvelo

Power smoothing Dynamic versus 0 (zero)

Post by speedyvelo »

Q. Is there any difference in the graphic showed by Isaac if Device Power Smoothing is setup <Dynamic> vs 0 (zero) or 3 sec for example?

I do understand the effects of what I see in the Garmin 820 head unit. I know Ray like to set up PP to zero and do the smoothing in the head unit. My preference is to set it up in PP because this smooth out all the readings using power output in the head unit. If I follow Ray preference, then power output is OK but Zones for example are jumping all over.
My question refers to if there is a difference between what PP shows and what PP uses for calculations: does it uses the setup or just the original 1 sec sampling.

Thanks

-=terry=-
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Power smoothing Dynamic versus 0 (zero)

Post by Velocomp »

The data shown in Isaac is the "raw" power from your ride. No smoothing is applied by Isaac, other than the amount you choose.

I use Dynamic Power Smoothing when I'm doing training rides, so that I can easily see my power targets on my bike computer. If I want to dial-in short intervals afterwards, Isaac will show what is going on.
John Hamann
flahutewannabe

flahutewannabe

Post by flahutewannabe »

Helpful, John, as I was just thinking about this yesterday. Do you then use the direct output from your PP without further smoothing by the head unit?
speedyvelo

Re: Power smoothing Dynamic versus 0 (zero)

Post by speedyvelo »

John THXS

-=terry=-
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: flahutewannabe

Post by Velocomp »

flahutewannabe wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:38 pm Helpful, John, as I was just thinking about this yesterday. Do you then use the direct output from your PP without further smoothing by the head unit?
When I use PP for power training I set PP to Dynamic Power Smoothing and I set my bike computer to 0 second filtering.

No matter what the PP smoothing setting is, when I look at the ride file in Isaac I see the "raw", un-smoothed power output.
John Hamann