green light

musomaniac

green light

Post by musomaniac »

i have just changed from using a garmin edge 1000 to a wahoo elemnt bolt , however when i turn the powerpod on , the green light comes on and goes off after approx ten seconds , all sensors ie cadence , speed and heart rate are showing on the wahoo bolt , but the watts are zero

it was working fine while paired with the garmin , the phone app for the wahoo shows all sensors paired including the powerpod

any ideas ?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: green light

Post by Velocomp »

If you are seeing speed and cadence on your bike computer, and green light of PP is on, then PP is transmitting power data.

The only thing that would cause PP to show zero watts would be if you changed its angle so that it pointed down. After 8 minutes this would self-correct.

If PP is working properly then I recommend you call Wahoo about this one.
John Hamann
ShawGoodwin

Post by ShawGoodwin »

I am using a Wahoo Bolt also. At the start of the ride everything works well - cadance, speed, HR and power. However after I restart after a stop for a coffee break >10mins I only get cadance, speed and HR no power.
Q1. Is there something that I should do after the break?
Power is being recorded in the powerpod as I can download data in ISAAC

I think my issue and possibly musomanic’s is that my cadance, speed and HR sensors are set as ANT on the wahoo and PowerPod is set as bluetooth. (Checked this afternoon). Tried to add PowerPod as an ANT sensor, but wahoo picks up and sets as a bluetooth.
Q2 Is there anyway to switch off bluetooth in PowerPod? I think it might be an issue with wahoo/PowerPod not reestablishing Bluetooth connection after a pause.

Shaw
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

Velocomp wrote:If you are seeing speed and cadence on your bike computer, and green light of PP is on, then PP is transmitting power data.

The only thing that would cause PP to show zero watts would be if you changed its angle so that it pointed down. After 8 minutes this would self-correct.

the green light only stays on for 10 secs or so then goes out , as i say , all other metrics show up on the wahoo except the watts from the PP , even though the PP shows found and paired in the wahoo app on my phone
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

musomaniac wrote:
Velocomp wrote:If you are seeing speed and cadence on your bike computer, and green light of PP is on, then PP is transmitting power data.

the green light only stays on for 10 secs or so then goes out , as i say , all other metrics show up on the wahoo except the watts from the PP , even though the PP shows found and paired in the wahoo app on my phone
i have the older version powerpod which i gather is only ant+
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

musomaniac wrote:
musomaniac wrote:

i have the older version powerpod which i gather is only ant+
Correct.

I don't know how the Wahoo system works. If it requires BLE then that would explain the problem.
John Hamann
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

Wahoo bolt uses ant+
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

PP should work without problems. I suggest you contact Wahoo tech support.
John Hamann
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

Velocomp wrote:PP should work without problems. I suggest you contact Wahoo tech support.
my fault regarding my original post , i was trying to get it to display the watts indoors while turning the pedals with my hands , went outside and its working , but it is showing crazy high watts ,i rode just around a mile and it was showing an average of 220 watts and highs of over 900 watts , which is just not right
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

because i've changed from a garmin edge to a wahoo elemnt bolt , would i need to re-calibrate the PP ,
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ride your PP for about 8 minutes and all will be well afterwards
John Hamann
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

ok i'll try that tomorrow , i did go out today but it was only 5 mins to check the watts , should of stopped out another 3 mins :?
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

this is the file from my 5 min ride today ... look at the watts
Attachments
iBike_04_06_2018_1128_1_Miles.ibr
(19.28 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your PP requires internal recalibration of its tilt. This takes 8 minutes; 5 is not long enough.

Please ride at least 10 minutes, then post that ride file.
John Hamann
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

ok will do cheers
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

ok been for a ride today , would it be possible to check the file over for me thanks
Attachments
leamlane_kibby_marley_hill.ibr
(361.14 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

ok i take it no one is going to reply to my last post regarding the file i was asked to upload :?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Was this a solo ride, or were you riding in a group?
John Hamann
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

i was riding in a group , but out front for a bit too
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

done another ride today around 45 mile , it seems the watts are all over the place at the beginning of EVERY ride , then after around 10 mins they settle down , any idea why its doing this please
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your PP angle is changing from ride to ride. When its mounting angle changes it takes about 8 minutes for PP to recalibrate itself.

Here's what the instructions say:

1) Attach PP loosely to your mount

2) Gently push down behind the button, so that PP hits the stop in the mount (that is, it cannot rotate any more "up").

3) Holding PP in that position, tighten the mount screw so that PP cannot rotate.

These steps will assure that PP is mounted at the same angle, and will minimize or eliminate the problem you are seeing.

One other possibility: when you've finished your ride, if your wheel continues to rotate such that speed is being registered (for example, if you attach your bike to a bike rack and transport it), that will mess-up the calibration. To prevent that possibility, at the end of your ride click PP button five times in rapid succession. The light will go solid green/yellow/red then turn out. This turns off PP.
John Hamann
musomaniac

Post by musomaniac »

ok thanks for the reply much appreciated , the PP cannot move on its mount it is really secure , i will try the 5 x button press and report back