Effort vs real speed

kdx200

Effort vs real speed

Post by kdx200 »

Hi john,
Analizing this data, the question is if somewhere in the isaac software is a correlative power output for the "2 speeds". I can only see the speeds, no power in this graphics.

Also id like to know the power needed to "match" the 2 speeds. I think the pp is permanently doing this calculations..... and wouild be great to have online in the garmin.

Thank you very much
kdx200

Re: Effort vs real speed

Post by kdx200 »

Any clues?
Thank you!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I missed your first post; sorry.

Effort speed shows you the effect of head/tail winds on your bike speed. In this calculation your power output is the same.

For example: suppose you're pedaling on the flats at 200W, at a bike speed of 20 MPH, with zero ground wind. In this case your effort speed is the same as your bike speed--ground wind is neither helping nor harming your bike speed.

You continue pedaling on the flats at 200W, and encounter a head wind of 3 MPH. Your bike speed will decrease because of the opposing headwind, let's say, to 16 mph (this is a guess). However, your effort speed (calculated) will be 20 MPH--the speed you would travel on this road at 200W if there wasn't a headwind.

Same thing with tail wind. Pedaling on the flats at 200W with a 3 MPH tail wind makes your bike go faster--say, 24 MPH (again, a guess). Your effort speed will be 20 MPH, the speed you would be traveling at 200W if you weren't being helped by a tail wind.

For a given level of power, the effort speed calculation accounts for the favorable/unfavorable effect of ground wind on bike speed.
John Hamann
kdx200

Post by kdx200 »

John, yes i know that
ive read you several times and you and the whole things are very clear. (also in the isaac user manual)

My question is about the watts in the graphic ...you have only the 2 speeds and no wattage.

In my case its very difficult to mantain the wattage (for example the 230w) with a 20 kmth tailwinds (an example) Its very common to see the real speed 30kmh (an example), effort speed 20kmh (an example) so it will be great to see the amount of watts i was doing in that situation. (i know that was not 230w because i "remember" the situation)

regarding the graphic (the 2 speeds) I know its impossible to get 100s fields of data in the cycle-computer and also it will be useless so much information but....
for example id like to have this 2 speeds in my garmin unit!.