Powerpod paring

Bumo_b

Powerpod paring

Post by Bumo_b »

Hi, maybe I am being a little daft here, but basically wanted to pair my Powerpod with my DFPM for in the field cda testing, which is not an issue on its own I am guessing. But when searching for power meters with my Garmin 810, it says "found multiple power meters, move at least 20 yards from other cyclists" and wont connect until I switch one off, again not a problem. My question is this, how am I meant to calibrate my DFPM, if my Powerpod is connected to the Garmin? Or how do I calibrate the Powerpod if the DFPM is connected? Is there anywhere with step by step instructions, and I mean step by step as I get the feeling I am really not being very bright! Do I pair in a particular order?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod paring

Post by Velocomp »

Here is a procedure that should work:

1. Wait 30 minutes until ALL of your ANT sensors (including PP) are "off"
2. Wake up all your ANT sensors (speed/cadence/DFPM) EXCEPT PowerPod (PP is off)
3. If you've previously paired your PP to your Garmin, unpair the PP from your Garmin (I don't know how to do unpairing in Garmin)
4. Pair your speed/cadence/DFPM to your Garmin. You should not get any conflict with PP, because PP is off
5. Now, calibrate your DFPM using your Garmin
6. Wake up PP
7. Pair PP to your sensors, including your DFPM
8. If you're doing CdA testing, make sure to do a Cal Ride prior to beginning testing

You will use Isaac after the ride to get CdA measurements.
John Hamann
Bumo_b

Post by Bumo_b »

Thank you for your response, and all good I think now. One final question (I hope). How do I separate the runs on different equipment? I plan on doing 5 mile out and backs on different equipment and should take about 5 mins to swap over equipment i.e helmet on first run, wheels on next etc? I am guess it is one of 3 options

1. Power off then on the pod
2. Press the button briefly once
3. You split it in Isaac

Much appreciated for you support.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Bumo_b wrote:Thank you for your response, and all good I think now. One final question (I hope). How do I separate the runs on different equipment? I plan on doing 5 mile out and backs on different equipment and should take about 5 mins to swap over equipment i.e helmet on first run, wheels on next etc? I am guess it is one of 3 options

1. Power off then on the pod
2. Press the button briefly once
3. You split it in Isaac

Much appreciated for you support.
After finishing the test, click the PP button 5 times. This will turn it off and save the ride file you've just completed. Then, click its button to turn it back on, and resume your testing.

CRITICAL: PowerPod must be ROCK SOLID attached to the mount, so that it cannot rotate. If it rotates between runs, you'll get incorrect results.
John Hamann
Bumo_b

Post by Bumo_b »

Thank you for your reply, have also played with Isaac software and notice you can split file files at the cursor. Will this recalculate the cda for each ride file separately on importing?
Sorry, I keep promising this is the last question, but you raised a good point appoint pressing the button 5 times and any movement causing inaccuracies
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

In Isaac, the Analyze/Analyze CdA... screen lets you highlight any portion of the ride file, to get the CdA for that portion.

This should do the trick for you.
John Hamann
Bumo_b

Post by Bumo_b »

Brilliant, thank you. (excuse the spelling in the title, just noticed).