MTB mounting

hoosier1981

MTB mounting

Post by hoosier1981 »

Just planning ahead as I've only been able to use on the roadbike due to injuries and muddy trails. I'd like to plan for how to mount on my mountain bikes (hard tail and full suspension).
I've enjoyed the PP on my road / gravel bikes but would like to use it on single track, at least for extended climbs or endurance racing.
I realize some of this is really specific and there might not be others who have ran into these scenarios or have answers - but for those who have, any info would be appreciated. :-)

1. Verticle sweep on the bars. - This will cause my PP to angle slightly sideways, more-so if I go away from the center. I'd like to go away from the center due to the mess of cables closer to the stem. Is this slight sideways angle okay?
2. If going away from center, I'll have to use some rubber strips when mounting due to the tapered smaller diameter of the bar toward the sides. Assuming it doesn't allow to rotate should that be okay? Perhaps the occasional cable in front isn't as big a deal on a MTB as I only put down power under 14mph? I could try an out front mount but don't trust myself when it comes to crashing.
3. Would upside-down mounting be okay for avoiding cables? I assume this would not work due to up/down being reversed, unless the Cal ride would correct and reverse this.
4. Is suspension without lockouts okay for straights / climbs outside of the extreme conditions? (mine don't have lockout).
5. The initial 8 minute 'correction' that the device performs on each ride - will this require that I either ride on smooth surface the first 8 minutes (parking lots) to avoid extreme angles due to suspension / rocks? If so, Assuming the PP has not moved since the previous ride could I just spin the wheel a few times and let it sit for 8 minutes while I get my gear ready...
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: MTB mounting

Post by Velocomp »

1. No problem
2. As long as the mount is ROCK SOLIDLY attached to the bars, this is not a problem
3. Yes, upside mounting will work, but be aware that water will flow downhill into the wind port. In rain this is not a good thing!
4. Lockouts are preferred. If you don't have them then you will need to average power readings over 10 second period
5. You can ride on any road
John Hamann
Pwdehaan

Post by Pwdehaan »

I am still looking for the best setup of my PowerPod on a Mtb. Mounting under the bar does not work because of the amount of cables.

I also want to mount the PowerPod upside down. 3 questions to that:

- you mention that rain might be an issue. Will this damage the PowerPod or is it just disturbing the measurement? If it is damaging, I will
Make sure to cover the pod in case of unexpected rain. Is there anything to do about that?
- if I mount upside down, do I need to adjust any settings in the device setup in Isaac?
- how to put the mount on the handlebar? In the instruction it says the flat side should face outward. Does mounting upside down change anything to this?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Pwdehaan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 am I am still looking for the best setup of my PowerPod on a Mtb. Mounting under the bar does not work because of the amount of cables.

I also want to mount the PowerPod upside down. 3 questions to that:

- you mention that rain might be an issue. Will this damage the PowerPod or is it just disturbing the measurement? If it is damaging, I will
Make sure to cover the pod in case of unexpected rain. Is there anything to do about that?
- if I mount upside down, do I need to adjust any settings in the device setup in Isaac?
- how to put the mount on the handlebar? In the instruction it says the flat side should face outward. Does mounting upside down change anything to this?
1) Rain will not damage the unit but when upside down it will screw-up the wind readings. If you get rain into the wind port make sure to blow it out

2) No adjustments need to be made

3) Flat side outwards makes it easy to attach the bolt. Adjust as needed for your setup.
John Hamann