PowerStroke upgrade $99 - Is it really that much value added

BtheB

PowerStroke upgrade $99 - Is it really that much value added

Post by BtheB »

What's the point of this software element being 1/3 the price of the unit? Does it really add that much value? Can I see this data on my garmin?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerStroke upgrade $99 - Is it really that much value a

Post by Velocomp »

You can view this data only in Isaac. There's some sophisticated analysis involved that can't be done on a Garmin.

You can read (for free) about PowerStroke capabilities by accessing the PowerStroke instructions from the Help menu of Isaac.

This kind of analysis is something you'd get from a Computrainer SpinScan. They cost thousands...

A few other PMs do something similar to PowerStroke; they cost $1000+

Only you can decide if PowerStroke value is "worth it"...
John Hamann
Generall

Post by Generall »

i can just tell: it is the one of the killer features of the powerpod - it will open your eyes about your stroke quality - in my case going upward steep hills it is just very depressing - - but hopefully i will improve.
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

It (Power Stroke software) certainly may "open eyes", but to be honest, many world class (or amateur) cyclists, runners, swimmers etc. do not necessarily have identical, mirror-image, L vs R lower or upper extremity movement/control/stroke ... but it hasn't necessarily stopped them from winning...

;)
Generall

Post by Generall »

I have the goodl luck to go cycling sometimes with a former 2 place overall driver of the Tour the France - and i am every time extreemly impressed, how precise this guy is moving on and with his bike, even after many years:

There is nearly no other movement than forward - also when he goes out of the saddle - unbelievable stable - so improving the movement on a bike is a very essential training- especially at high rpm and also goin out of the saddle - the powerstroke shows this in a very good way and helps in the training.
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

What's your point?

I have the good luck of seeing a 35 yr old very strong cyclist who loves to smoke - and even takes a cigarette break during Cat 1, 2 jamfest mid-ride breaks!!
Yikes.

Does it mean all cigarette smokers will become, or are already awesome cyclists?

Does it mean I'll copy his approach? Umm .... prolly not.

Here are 2 evidence-based sources (after a quick, google search - not an exhaustive PubMed search) that challenge the current dogma of precise 50-50 stroke power distribution being the pot at end of rainbow:

https://datadrivenathlete.com/2014/10/2 ... -the-bike/

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... preference
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

though I suspect that the Power Stroke works to a certain point the only issue I have is that it is not in real time, so it is hard to do anything to inform your improvement. On a Computrainer or other device that shows real time effects of pedalling dynamics you can change things and see the effect so you can actually train yourself to improve. You can see and feel the effects. The Power Stroke is a diagnostic tool but much less a real training aid since you can only see what happened and I doubt many people are that tuned into their pedalling that they can recall what they did and what it felt like even 5 minutes after the fact. So is it valid, I have to assume it is, and I suspect it is informative but as a training tool not so much.
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

The only time my PowerStroke has been near perfect is while riding rollers (no surprise)!
And after several roller workouts, my on-road stroke is improved. And then decays back to prior.
BtheB

Post by BtheB »

Velocomp wrote:You can view this data only in Isaac. There's some sophisticated analysis involved that can't be done on a Garmin.

You can read (for free) about PowerStroke capabilities by accessing the PowerStroke instructions from the Help menu of Isaac.

This kind of analysis is something you'd get from a Computrainer SpinScan. They cost thousands...

A few other PMs do something similar to PowerStroke; they cost $1000+

Only you can decide if PowerStroke value is "worth it"...
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't see these sooner. Initially there wasn't any response so I just figured it descended into obscurity.

"What about" other power meter costs is a bit insignificant to me. I didn't buy those in the first place so I can't really resonate with an implied savings. I'd probably be willing to spend $50 on a software license download to be able to see this data after the fact. I guess I'll never really know what it can bring to the table unless the price changes.
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

Resurection of an old topic:

Re. "Importance" of smooth/symmetrical pedal strokes:

- From GCN: Perhaps not as "scientific" as the previous 2 links provided, however, interesting & additional, entertaining food for thought re. obssessing over smooth, identical pedal strokes... https://youtu.be/ayafWfQzQQE
:shock:
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

BBQcyclist wrote:Resurection of an old topic:

Re. "Importance" of smooth/symmetrical pedal strokes:

- From GCN: Perhaps not as "scientific" as the previous 2 links provided, however, interesting & additional, entertaining food for thought re. obssessing over smooth, identical pedal strokes... https://youtu.be/ayafWfQzQQE
:shock:
Fun video. For PowerStoke owners, those kinds of analyses are familiar, and they are done outdoors, not in a lab! :D
John Hamann
Disallowed Username

Post by Disallowed Username »

I am also put off by the high price of the PowerStroke key, but would consider buying it for 50$.