TT Bike Dual Mount angle and power into the wind

briarandbrine

TT Bike Dual Mount angle and power into the wind

Post by briarandbrine »

I've had the PP now for about 6 weeks and have really been finding it useful for analyzing my rides. The instant data (I'm set up for 3s avg through my Garmin 520) helps me to pace better on climbs and has consequently improved my overall performance. I just mounted the powerpod to my TT bike's aerobats using a Bar Fly 4, and discovered that the angle of the aerobars does not allow the PP to be perfectly parallel to the bike's lines. Here's a photo to illustrate. Is this okay? The Bar Fly doesn't allow micro-adjust the angle, so how have other's solved this problem, if it is a problem?
Powerpod dual mounted on aerobats with BarFly 4.
Powerpod dual mounted on aerobats with BarFly 4.
powerpod TT placement.jpg (255.19 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
I also noticed on my first ride that I was registering less power into the wind than I would otherwise expect. There were sections with a tailwind where I felt the effort was less, yet power showed higher. Here's the file of that ride:
iBike_09_12_2017_0759_24_Miles.ibr
First Ride with the TT Bike
(218.69 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Additionally, I wasn't sure which category of mount to use when setting up the bike profile before my calibrating ride. Here's the profile:
iBike_09_10_2017_1236_3_Miles_CalRide.ibr
Calibrating Ride on TT Bike
(41.97 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

Thanks in advance for being available to answer questions and make sure that we are all getting the most from your products.

Jeff
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: TT Bike Dual Mount angle and power into the wind

Post by Velocomp »

It looks like everything is OK. Your wind speed looks solid, and you've set your bike for TT ride position.

I can't tell the angle at which your PP is mounted (side view is necessary) but I don't see any problem in the data, so I don't think you have to try to change anything.
John Hamann
briarandbrine

Post by briarandbrine »

Thanks for looking over the files for me. I think that the PP is level to the ground, I was concerned, though, with the angle relative to the top tube when looking down from riding position toward the ground. Essentially, when I am going straight, the PP is pointed slightly to the right.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

briarandbrine wrote:Thanks for looking over the files for me. I think that the PP is level to the ground, I was concerned, though, with the angle relative to the top tube when looking down from riding position toward the ground. Essentially, when I am going straight, the PP is pointed slightly to the right.
That will not be a problem.
John Hamann
briarandbrine

Post by briarandbrine »

Great to know. Thanks so much for the response. Now, time to stop typing and go ride...