Sprinting: Ride position, drops or hoods?

dai14

Sprinting: Ride position, drops or hoods?

Post by dai14 »

I'm particularly interested in knowing my power numbers during a sprint, therefore I set my ride position as drops before doing my calibration ride (assuming this would give me the most accurate power numbers when sprinting). So far the numbers have generally been around what I'd expect, however on a few occasions they've been a couple of hundred watts higher.

As I probably spend 90%+ of my ride on the hoods, does having the ride position set as drops have any effect on my average wattage? (I think the average may have been 20-30 watts too much on occasions) If it does, what would happen to the power numbers during a sprint if I changed the ride position to hoods? What is the recommended setup to give the most accurate power numbers during a sprint?

Finally, if I did want to change the ride position to hoods, would I need to do a new calibration ride or could I just change the profile, send it to the powerpod and ride?

Dai
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Sprinting: Ride position, drops or hoods?

Post by Velocomp »

Lots of questions!

1) If you do most of your riding on the hoods, that is where I would set my ride position. Sprints are short, and also are primarily governed by acceleration. Sprint watts won't be affected much by ride position setting.

2) If you use Device/Setup Device to change ride position to hoods, make sure to click the "keep calibration setting" option in the final window. If you do then you won't have to do a new calibration ride.
John Hamann
dai14

Post by dai14 »

John,

Thanks for the response (your customer service is excellent), I've set the ride position to hoods and will see what the power numbers look like over the next few rides.

Dai
BBQcyclist

Post by BBQcyclist »

Dai, any updates on your power readings after your new setting modifications?