Power Pod not connecting to Garmin

spangelsaregreat

Power Pod not connecting to Garmin

Post by spangelsaregreat »

Hi,

I have been trying to set Power Pod on my two bikes. One has the older combined Garmin Speed and cadence and the other Giant RideSense. I am aware both of these sensors are not recommended for Power Pod and I have ordered magnetless Garmin sensors.

However I decided to try to set them up anyway. Neither appeared to work and some emails with Tom didn't get a resolution. I realise that this may well be that they just will not work.

However I have noticed something odd. In setting both up today I got the same outcome as detailed below.

I connect PowerPod to the PC and customised the profile for each bike for tyres etc and set for best accuracy.

I then mounted power pod. Spun the cranks to wake up the sensor noting speed and cadence showed on my Garmin 810. I then held the PowerPod button for 4 seconds and got the flashing green light which then went solid green suggesting it had paired successfully with Power Pod. I selected the power screen in the bike profile in Garmin and pressed search. I then pressed the Powerpod button once.

This is where the problem occurred in that the PowerPod would not connect to the Garmin. My email with Tom concluded that the speed sensor was not connected with PowerPod. This was fair enough as they are not supported sensors.

Then something odd happened. I noticed when I pushed the Powerpod button again it started to flash yellow suggesting it had started the calibration stage! I managed to replicate this behaviour on both bikes.

On connecting the PowerPod back to the PC I noticed both bike profiles in Isaac show the sensor ID suggesting that Power Pod has indeed paired. Also the device odometer had 0.4 miles on it which is about the distance I rode when trying out the light sequences.

So is my PowerPod actually successfully connected to both sensors and has entered the calibration stage? If so then my problem is the connecting of the PowerPod to the Garmin 810.

I know that even with the above I might try the new Garmin sensors and it will just work. However I can't help wondering that I have just messed up the connecting of PowerPod to the Garmin 810.

Does anyone have any idea where I might be going wrong?

Regards
spangelsaregreat

Re: Power Pod not connecting to Garmin

***UPDATE***

I received the Garmin Magnetless sensors today and fitted them to the bike. I paired them to my Garmin 810 and checked they were working by holding up the back wheel and spinning the cranks. Both sensors are paired and working.

I went through the PowerPod setup following the set up instructions. Unfortunately I got the same results. The PowerPod appears to indicate that the cadence and Speed sensors are paired in that the light goes from flashing green to solid green. However, the PowerPod will not connect to the Garmin 810. I am then able to move the PowerPod from the solid yellow light to flashing yellow light as though it is performing the calibration ride.

I have emailed Tom to see if there is a solution. Any other ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Did you pair your Garmin to your PP? This is something you have to do on your Garmin setup, after you wake up your PP and have the solid green light.
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

John,

This is the issue I am having. It won't pair with the Garmin 810.

I get through Step 4A to 4D in your setup fine. Going from the green flashing light to the solid green light.

When I move to Step 5, I press the PowerPod button, then go to the Power pairing screen in my Garmin 810, press search and it just sits in the searching screen but does not connect. I have left if for a couple of minutes with no joy.

Tom is on the case, will update once he has had chance to review the issue.

Regards
spangelsaregreat

Turns out it is a faulty device (my second one after the first one was DOA, just slightly frustrating).

Will return it for a replacement, hopefully third time lucky.

Regards
spangelsaregreat

So PowerPod number 3.

Plug it into the PC to do the initial charge and setup and......it does not recognise it as a USB device. This despite the same PC recognising the previous PowerPod. Tried re installing Isaac and drivers etc but no luck. Have emailed Tom for some assistance but this is the last chance.

However, while I am waiting I tried to connect it to the speed and cadence sensors on the bike and My Garmin and.....it works!!. It finds the sensors and then connects to the Garmin 810 straight away and entered into a calibration ride.

So it appears to be a working PowerPod from that point of view but not speaking to the PC which is odd considering the last one did.

Hoping that Tom can provide some assistance getting it connected to the PC as it is useless if it can't be customised via Isaac.

Very frustrating because I can see the potential with the device and it has so many benefits over a DFPM but not it won't work.

Regards
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Something is not right. Tom will get your phone number and call you.
John Hamann
spangelsaregreat

John,

Thanks, I am in the UK for info.

Regards
spangelsaregreat

Got a call from Tom at support and he wasn't able to fix the issue unfortunately. Thinks it may be a faulty USB port.

It is always frustrating when you get a product that does not work. However, it is how a company responds that makes the difference. Velocomp have certainly proved their worth in terms of customer service here.

Tom is sending me a fully tested new unit (the latest BLE unit so an upgrade) by priority mail today with Powerstroke etc on it and trusting me to return this unit to him to save me from having to go through dealing with the shop again.

You cannot argue with that for customer service.

Will update on how that one goes after it crosses the pond.

Regards
Parallelfish

Post by Parallelfish »

Does the PowerPod show up as a USB device on a PC? Mine does not, which is a bit frustrating.
spangelsaregreat

Yes it does show but as a faulty USB device.
spangelsaregreat

Power Pod number 4 arrived today which is excellent service considering it was sent on Friday!

Plugged into the PC and it connected first time. Set up the profile for my bike and weight etc and set up for a calibration ride.

Speed and cadence sensors both connected first time along with heartrate. Powerpod then connected to Garmin 810.

Then successfully completed the calibration ride and did a local loop. Power seems fine and reacts as I would expect.

Now need to do a FTP ride tomorrow and see how slow I really am!

Thanks to Tom for sorting this out, great service.

Regards