Multiple Issues

codefox

Multiple Issues

Post by codefox »

I've had my Power Pod since January and I've had issues on and off that have really prevented me from fully realizing the benefits of power-based training.

1. I seem to have a hard time getting everything calibrated correctly. I have a road bike and a tt bike and I have never seen values on the bikes match between rides. In addition, I ride a Tacx Vortex as well and my power values on the trainer are WAY above what I usually see on my PowerPod. I realize there will be some variation there but it's usually around a 10% difference which is fairly significant and given that my PowerPod is inconsistent between bikes, I lean towards trusting my Tacx.

2. I also have had major issues pairing the PowerPod with both of my bikes. This wasn't a problem until I purchased a new road bike (adding a 3rd profile) and ever since, I have been unable to get this new bike and my TT bike to be paired. The older road bike was using an old combo speed/cadence sensor with magnets while both my TT bike and my road bike have a set of magnetless speed/cadence sensors (each have their own set). The PowerPod does not seem to be able to differentiate between the two sets. When I have managed to pair the device to both sets of sensors, the IDs reported in the profiles are the same. I do my pairing about a mile and a half away from home so to avoid any risk of finding the wrong device.

3. When I attempt to check calibration post ride, I am able to get values that at least look more reasonable but I can't send the updated profile to the device. From this morning's ride, this is what the Isaac program wanted to do with my friction value:

Fric 10.695 -> -1.507

But that value is out of range (and doesn't make sense) so it can't update the device.

I have already returned it to factory default settings and I'm on the latest 6.22 firmware. I'd love for some help since the rides that it has worked on it's great...but it's just few and far between for me right now.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Multiple Issues

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry you're having issues.

I think the safest thing to do is to start over...

Please do the following:

1) Connect your PP to Isaac

2) Use the command "Device/Setup/Reset Profile-Device..." to reset all four profiles (use the command 4 times, once for Profile 1, then Profile 2, etc)

3) Your PP will now be in "factory fresh" condition.

4) Use the command "Device/Set Active Profile in Device"...to select profile 1

5) Set up each profile individually, for each bike. After setting up profile 1 with Isaac (for example, your road bike), pair to your road bike sensors, then do an out and back ride ("Best Accuracy")

6) Next, set up profile 2 (say, your TT bike). Make sure that, before you do a pairing, you are 100% certain your road bike sensors are OFF. Do an O&B ride

Post a ride file for each bike and we will check things.
John Hamann
codefox

Post by codefox »

John, I appreciate the advice here. Starting over is what I did do once already but I'm happy to do it again. I don't quite have the time yet to do the "Best Accuracy" ride but I'd like to at least get the device paired correctly.

I'll update once I have this all done. It may take me about a week to at least do all of the pairing as I won't be on my other bike until next weekend.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The "normal" calibration takes 5 minutes; the "Best Accuracy" out and back ride, 10 minutes.

If you're trying to get best performance from both bikes, I would spend the extra 5 minutes on the O&B ride.
John Hamann
codefox

Post by codefox »

John,

I've tried following your advice and wiped my power pod to default and started over. I was able to pair to my road bike last weekend and with the default accuracy, everything looked pretty good. This morning I tried taking it out on my tri bike and when I tried pairing, it did not seem to work. When I got home and synced the power pod, it had recorded the whole ride.

It seems to recognize the sensors on both bikes as the same sensor (even though they are not). Both Saturday & today had full rides recorded with all of my sensors but today it should not have, as my power pod did not pair to anything when I tried (and I was miles from my house where the other bike lives).

Is there an issue with the current lineup of Garmin sensors having the same ID that the Power Pod is using? This problem only started when I bought my current road bike and a 2nd set of speed & cadence sensors. They are the type that uses accelerometers rather than magnets.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The likely problem here is that you have two profiles, both paired to the same sensors.

Do the following:

1) Connect PP to Isaac

2) Use the command Edit/Edit Profiles/Get from device" to extract the profile currently active.

3) You should have two profiles in your PP. Set the active profile for each one, and use command 2

Now, compare wireless IDs for the two profiles.

If you have ANY question about the integrity of the sensor pairing, then select the profile you want to pair. Be 100% certain that ONLY your desired bike sensors are awake, then perform the pairing process.

Use Isaac to switch profiles manually to your other bike. Then, be 100% certain that ONLY your other bike sensors are awake, pair PP to your second bike.

The accelerometer sensors work perfectly with PP.
John Hamann
codefox

Post by codefox »

I know it's been a while but I wanted to give an update here on this. As much as I wanted to do all of this over the summer, and the set up is really pretty painless, I was training for IMWI and most days I couldn't afford to waste a single minute of time since I was trying to keep my training as low impact on my family as possible. But as I don't plan to stop cycling any time in the foreseeable future, now I'll get this taken care of. Here's where I'm at currently:

I have 2 bikes that were causing the issue. I reset everything to factory default and and re-paired my road bike. Everything looks good on the ride I did on Saturday. I didn't do an out and back calibration but the power readings seemed very much within reason during the ride.

The next step will be to get the other bike paired up. I have successfully paired 2 bikes when one bike was using the GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor and the other was using the new Garmin magnetless speed/cadence sensor. The problem I'm running into is having both bikes equipped with the magnetless sensors. If it continues to be a problem when I pair the other bike up (which will be as soon as it's back from the shop this week) I'll switch one of my bikes over to the GSC-10 sensor since I know that will definitely work.

Have you all paired 2 different bikes with the Garmin magnetless sensors there at the same time? I feel like something changed in the way they transmit the device id.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com Tom will get you going.
John Hamann
codefox

Post by codefox »

Thanks, John!
codefox

Post by codefox »

Velocomp wrote:Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com Tom will get you going.
John, thank you SO MUCH for hooking me up with Tom. We went over email and I finally have both my road bike and my TT bike connected to the PowerPod successfully. The trick seemed to be that I had to manually set an empty profile for the next time I wanted to pair a new bike. I'm a little surprised at that step but also not a big deal once it was explicitly called out (and it's possible it's in documentation that I failed to notice).

Next up will be to do some out and back accuracy rides on both bikes buts even with the default accuracy, everything looks pretty close to the numbers my Tacx trainer gives me.
codefox

Post by codefox »

John, when you get a chance, I'd be happy if you could take a look at the following ride files. The 19 mile file is the full ride and the smaller 12 mile portion is the out and back portion of my ride. I didn't do an O&B calibration (I'll do that next time) but when I use the Isaac software to check calibration on the 12 mile segment, it gives me a negative friction value, which seems wrong. It does make the power appear to be correct as I believe the 2nd half of the 12 mile ride was not giving me accurate power. I didn't save any changes so both files have the original ride file.
iBike_09_27_2017_1556_19_Miles.ibr
(278.35 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
iBike_09_27_2017_1608_12_Miles.ibr
(156.78 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

All is well. Your 19 mile ride, with the corrected calibration, is correct.

Attached is the corrected profile from that ride. Load it into your PP and you'll be fine.

Attached also is the corrected ride 12 mile ride file, using your new profile. It is OK, too.
Attachments
iBikeJRH_09_27_2017_1608_12_Miles.ibr
(222.71 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Codefox.ibp
(493 Bytes) Downloaded 208 times
John Hamann