PowerPod and coast downs

GooseRider

PowerPod and coast downs

Post by GooseRider »

Just reading through the ISAC documentation. The multiple coast downs only apply to Newton and not PowerPod, right?

I am running a Cannondale Synapse with 700x28C Yksion tires with latex tubes at 90psi. So I assume my CdA is higher due to the endurance geometry (half the spacers moved above but still more upright seating position than that of ex. an EVO Six racing bike) and my rolling resistance is lower due to the Latex tubes (have chosen utility clincher).

Morten
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod and coast downs

Post by Velocomp »

GooseRider wrote:Just reading through the ISAC documentation. The multiple coast downs only apply to Newton and not PowerPod, right?

Morten
Correct.
John Hamann
GooseRider

Post by GooseRider »

Any recommendation for CdA for a Synapse and what setting for rolling resistance to use with reasonable road tires with latex tubes?

Morten
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Honestly, I would use the "Device Setup" feature of Isaac, and follow its standard settings.

Do a "Best Accuracy" calibration to dial in your device.
John Hamann
theller

Post by theller »

So, does the PowerPod really use the one out and back calibration ride to determine correct CdA and Crr values, even for unusal (non race) bike geometries and seating positions? No coast downs needed?

Thomas
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

theller wrote:So, does the PowerPod really use the one out and back calibration ride to determine correct CdA and Crr values, even for unusal (non race) bike geometries and seating positions? No coast downs needed?

Thomas
Calibrations are for the wind sensor and accelerometer. They do not adjust CdA or Crr values.
John Hamann
theller

Post by theller »

Does this mean that there is no way for the PowerPod to *measure* the Crr and CdA values?
IMO depending on the bike type it is not sufficient to use the initial setup which only guesses depending on rider position and tire size/pressure.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Guess is a loaded term.

Many years ago, we developed algorithms to determine CDA based on rider parameters. those algorithms are good enough to provide excellent power pod performance. Ride position is only one of the factors used to determine CDA.
John Hamann