PowerPod won't connect to Garmin senors

TSLAFan

PowerPod won't connect to Garmin senors

Post by TSLAFan »

I have a new PP BLE and Garmin sensors that won't connect. The PP connects on Bluetooth to my Polar V800 and the sensors connect to my wife's 735XT, but no go on sensors to PP. I did try a hard reset of PP. While holding down the button. it blinked green 7 times then missed a beat, flashed red, then went to solid green. That didn't help. When I crank the pedal and hold the power button 4 sec, it blinks green for a long time then red and out. What to try next? Thanks!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: PowerPod won't connect to Garmin senors

Post by Velocomp »

Do the following:

0) Confirm that your Garmin speed and cadence sensors are ANT+ (you will see the ANT icon on them if they are)

1) Wake up your Garmin sensors.

2) With your bike at rest, spin your wheel and turn your crank. You should see speed and cadence register on your Garmin.

3) Press-hold the PP button for about 4 seconds, until it starts to flash green. This initiates the pairing process

4) Assuming you have separate, magnet less sensors, you'll see the light flash red, three times, when the cadence sensor is paired, then turn solid green once the speed sensor is paired.

Please let us know what you find.
John Hamann
TSLAFan

Post by TSLAFan »

After resetting the cadence sensor, both connected to the PP and the PP connected to the 735XT for me to read speed, cadence, and watts (on an outdoor test ride). The Polar shows that it is connected to the PP, but no cadence or power readings. Speed was coming from Polar GPS so nothing from PP. Polar Bluetooth speed and cadence sensors are disconnected from the V800, so they don't interfere. I tried resetting PP, reconnecting the Garmin sensors and the V800, but that didn't help. So, progress but not there yet.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Truthfully, I do not understand your post.

I don't know what is connected to what, what kind of sensors you have, what is reading what.

Did you confirm that you have ANT+ sensors?
John Hamann
TSLAFan

Post by TSLAFan »

In the beginning, I started out with Polar Bluetooth cadence and speed sensors connected to a Polar V800 watch. I added the BLE PP unit thinking it would connect with everything Bluetooth. When I found I needed ANT+ sensors I added the new Garmin ANT+ magnetless speed and cadence sensors. They work fine directly to my wife's Garmin 735XT and to the PP unit, as I'm seeing cadence, speed, and power readings on her watch. However, I want the PP BLE unit to send data to the V800 and that's where the problem is. The V800 says it is synced to the PP, but no data is flowing to the watch.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I have personally verified that PP works with the Polar v850.

Do the following:

1) Remove all BLE sensors from your bike

2) Install the ANT+ sensors on your bike

3) Pair the ANT+ sensors on your bike to PP

4) Pair PP to your Polar V800

PP receives ANT+ speed/cadence sensor data, then retransmits speed/cadence/power in BLE format to your v800.

If you don't see speed/cadence/power data you'll need to contact Polar. I recall reading somewhere about Polar FW updates for this problem, but I'm not sure.
John Hamann
TSLAFan

Post by TSLAFan »

OK, thanks. I've already done 1-4 although BLE sensors still physically on the bike, just disconnected from the V800. I'll check with Polar support.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

As a precaution I would remove the batteries from the BLE sensors.

Bluetooth pairing can have unexpected consequences.
John Hamann
TSLAFan

Post by TSLAFan »

Bad news. Polar says the BLE PP is not compatible with their V800 and they do not predict that it ever will be. Here's the link they sent me: http://support.polar.com/us-en/support/ ... lar_device I guess I'll have to return the BLE PP, unless my wife wants to use it with her Garmin... Thanks for all of the help! Dave
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

With all due respect to Polar, they don't know what they are talking about.

The only thing their chart means is that they haven't tested PowerPod.

You'll find Polar has same chart for the V650. We actually tried PP with an 650, and it worked without problems.

I think the issue here is that you have BLE sensors on the bike, and your 800 is pairing to them. You need to make sure the BLE sensors are not functioning (remove batteries), and that the 800 is paired to the PP only.

One final point: among other things, BLE is a standard that manufacturers are supposed to follow. We follow that standard. If Polar doesn't work, it's because they don't follow the standard.
John Hamann
TSLAFan

Post by TSLAFan »

OK, thanks. I'll try pulling the batteries on the Bluetooth sensors. The support technician's statement was that the V800 can receive the Bluetooth signal from the PP, but that they don't have the SW in place to parse the data and populate the appropriate fields on the V800. Isn't there a standard protocol for communication of power data?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You might ask the Polar tech if they've implemented the parsing for the 650.

Whatever answer he gives, the truth is: they have. PP works with the 650, and perfectly splits out the speed and cadence data from the power.
John Hamann
macoao

Post by macoao »

I have the same problem.
My Polar V800 watch detects the PowerPod BLE but no power data are displayed during the ride or transferred to the Polar Flow software after syncing the V800 with the App.
The Isaac software reads out the data from the PowerPod but no power data during the ride are available which is very unfortunate.
Thus, I can confirm that the PowerPod BLE is not compatible with thePolar V800 watch.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Make sure that your sensors are ANT+. PP requires ANT+ sensors, then converts the data to BLE format.

According to DC Rainmaker, Polar 800 does not support standard BLE format. It's not our fault...
John Hamann