Anyone using PowerPod on a Fat Bike with any success?

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Anyone using PowerPod on a Fat Bike with any success?

Post by Velocomp »

Who said Florida? We have secret agents all around the world... :-)
John Hamann
offpiste.reese

Post by offpiste.reese »

I seem to have hosed something up. I went for a ride today, normal mountain bike terrain, fire roads, single track, etc. and was getting very crazy readings from the PowerPod. I have attached the file, if you could take a look and let me know what's up, I'd appreciate it. I modified the wheel size setting in the profile and sent it to the PowerPod.
Attachments
iBike_12_27_2016_1434_10_Miles.ibr
(228.67 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your speed and cadence readings are very, very intermittent.

This is the cause of your problems.

It looks like you are using a Garmin GSC-10 sensor; if so, please get a new magnet-less sensor, and install your speed sensor on your front wheel hub.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 6.53.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 6.53.57 PM.png (900.62 KiB) Viewed 13232 times
John Hamann
offpiste.reese

Post by offpiste.reese »

Thanks.
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote: ...One statement made in the thread incorrect: Crr does NOT "go negative" during a ride. What I think was happening is something to do with the calibration of the unit, or perhaps its mounting angle on the bike. I won't be able to tell until I see the ride file.
So, I went out yesterday on a fatbike ride having used the "Edit Profiles... - Send to Device*" function in the Issac 4.0.0 software to make the following profile active on my device prior to the ride. The core values for this profile were created during a previous calibration ride. Some values were "tweeked" using Issac's "Analyze - Check Calibration..." menu commands. You will note that the Crr in the profile is listed as 0.0172 (again, calibration ride generated):
Screenshot 2017-01-02 18.12.53.png
Screenshot 2017-01-02 18.12.53.png (130.37 KiB) Viewed 13218 times
After returning home, I connected my device to my MacBook Pro and downloaded the ride file. You can see the screen result below (would have included the entire Issac file window, but it was too large to import):
Screenshot 2017-01-02 18.08.56.png
Screenshot 2017-01-02 18.08.56.png (50.5 KiB) Viewed 13218 times
You will note that the value for Crr now says that it's equal to -0.0022, the negative value that I've been reporting in past posts (and that has happened numerous times, covering a variety of mounting setups). This screenshot was taken immediately post-download and includes no Issac-related post-ride processing. Although it seems like there was a time when Crr and the other values related to the Aero and Friction Calcs could be viewed from the Newton itself (to confirm the "current" values), regrettably, I've been unable to see a screen(s) devoted to these data using firmware 5.13, which I believe is the latest version compatble with my device. Therefore, I can't say when the Crr was changed from 0.0172 to -0.0022, but -0.0022 is the value displayed in the Issac window immediately post-download.

So, while I fully understand that Crr shouldn't become a negative number, in this case, it has "...gone negative." I ask again: What's the explanation for this behavior? I've attached the ride file below:
2017_01_01_1353_9_Miles.ibr
(271 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Last edited by Ratman on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Very mysterious...

For the ride file you posted, there was no post-ride correction of values. So, it isn't post-ride Isaac calculations causing Crr to go negative. And, during the ride, there are no modifications to Crr.

So, this really is strange!

Please do the following:

1) Import the attached ratmanCrr profile into Isaac. This profile has a value of 0.172 for Crr

2) Load this profile into your Newton.

3) Use the "Edit/Edit Profiles/Get from Device" command to confirm that you have loaded the "ratmanCrr" profile with Crr = 0.0172 into your Newton.

4) Do another ride

5) Download the ride, then post here

This ride file should absolutely have the correct Crr in it. If not then something very weird is going on that has nothing to do with a fat bike!
Attachments
RatmanCrr.ibp
(414 Bytes) Downloaded 237 times
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote:Very mysterious...

For the ride file you posted, there was no post-ride correction of values. So, it isn't post-ride Isaac calculations causing Crr to go negative. And, during the ride, there are no modifications to Crr.

So, this really is strange!

Please do the following:

1) Import the attached ratmanCrr profile into Isaac. This profile has a value of 0.172 for Crr

2) Load this profile into your Newton.

3) Use the "Edit/Edit Profiles/Get from Device" command to confirm that you have loaded the "ratmanCrr" profile with Crr = 0.0172 into your Newton.

4) Do another ride

5) Download the ride, then post here

This ride file should absolutely have the correct Crr in it. If not then something very weird is going on that has nothing to do with a fat bike!
Thanks for responding, John -- I'm glad that you can now acknowledge this "very mysterious" issue as I think you're the only one who will be able to diagnose the cause...and create a fix. You're correct -- I intentionally didn't try to do any post-ride corrections via Issac so you could see the "raw" data off the Newton. However, I find two additional things potentially interesting:

1) In the portion of the Issac ride file window that I posted in my last note, the line reporting wattage attributable to "Rolling (resistance)" reads: Min = -24, Ave = -5.7, and Max = -0 Watts. This would seem to mean that the Newton "saw" all of the roots and rocks that I encountered during the ride (and there were many, believe me!) as making the effort easier (negative watts, right?)!
2) Surpringly (to me, at least), the Issac "Analyze - Check Calibration" screen on this (raw) ride file doesn't provide a suggested change for the Crr = -.0022 value (see screen capture below). I don't know if Issac "locks" the Crr value during this processing. However, checking back on the Edit-Profile screen that I submitted in my previous note above (i.e., the pre-ride profile that I loaded), the Aero (0.660), Wind Scaling (1.467), and Tilt (-0.9%) values in the "pre-edit" column remain unchanged, but the fric value was changed from 25.573 to 6.666 (why??). This also seems to indicate that something is dramatically wrong. What do you think? (Note: the listed weight change from 219 to 215 was a change that I did make after the screen capture -- no mystery there).
Screenshot 2017-01-03 16.05.14.png
Screenshot 2017-01-03 16.05.14.png (81.79 KiB) Viewed 13210 times
I'll load the "ratmanCrr" profile onto my device so we can doubly assure that Crr = .0172 is being used by my Newton (although, as I described in my previous note, this would have been the case already if Issac had successfully loaded the aforementioned profile as I had instructed it to do prior to recording the ride file in question). That will be a good double check -- perhaps the profile on my end is corrupted. I'll post the subsequent ride file for your further analysis. It may be a week or so before I can do that, though, as several issues are going to be getting in the way of my riding. :(

As you state, this problem may not have anything to do with the fact that I'm riding a fatbike, per se. My concern, however, is that it may be related to the relatively extreme calibration values (specifically Crr and fric, which I realize are related) that could be appropriate for fatbikes. Could they be causing some internal calculations to yield errors? Are the Crr and/or fric values interrogated and forcible changed at some point to ensure that they are within "normal" limits, limits originally conceived of for road bikes?

Thanks for your assistance -- I'll be following-up as requested with the post-update ride file.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

The profile used during a ride is set BEFORE the ride, and remains constant during the ride.

The weird rolling watts you remark on is because your Crr was negative during the ride. Again, this is configured prior to your ride, so the profile was wrong.

I do not see any reason a "fat bike" configuration would cause this mystery.

Just for laughs I will set up my Newton with an identical profile and then ride it around to see if something weird happens.

Stay tuned...
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, I simulated a fat bike set up. Here is exactly what I did:

1) I extracted my Newton profile 1. Profile 1 has been calibrated for my road bike (Crr = 0.004)

2) In Isaac I edited my profile 1, using "ratman" parameters (weight and Crr; CdA is irrelevant). I named this profile "ratman/JRH"

3) I switched to profile 2 in my Newton

4) I transferred the ratman/JRH profile to profile 2

5) I confirmed that the contents of profile 2 had the correct Crr

6) I then did a short ride

7) I downloaded the ride and confirmed that the Crr was 0.0172, as expected (by the way, watts are much higher than road bike watts; fat bikes make you work harder :D )

Based on my little experiment, I see no reason that fat bike parameters should cause Crr should go negative.

I think the key here is to make sure to reset the Crr AFTER the Newton has been calibrated on the bike (i.e. you have cycled with the Newton on your bike for at least 8 minutes).
Attachments
RatmanJRH_01_04_2017_1003_0_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(18.2 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote:OK, I simulated a fat bike set up. Here is exactly what I did:

1) I extracted my Newton profile 1. Profile 1 has been calibrated for my road bike (Crr = 0.004)

2) In Isaac I edited my profile 1, using "ratman" parameters (weight and Crr; CdA is irrelevant). I named this profile "ratman/JRH"

3) I switched to profile 2 in my Newton

4) I transferred the ratman/JRH profile to profile 2

5) I confirmed that the contents of profile 2 had the correct Crr

6) I then did a short ride

7) I downloaded the ride and confirmed that the Crr was 0.0172, as expected (by the way, watts are much higher than road bike watts; fat bikes make you work harder :D )

Based on my little experiment, I see no reason that fat bike parameters should cause Crr should go negative.

I think the key here is to make sure to reset the Crr AFTER the Newton has been calibrated on the bike (i.e. you have cycled with the Newton on your bike for at least 8 minutes).
Your "little experiment" does confirm a finding that I had in one of my most recent series of test rides, but it's not thoroughly conclusive regarding the possibility of a problem somewhere in the processing stream. Specifically, I have had one recent ride file in which the Crr was reported the same as the profile that I had sent to my Newton before the ride:
After noting that the Crr had not changed from .0172, I did an "Analyze-Check Calibration" to see if Issac felt that any other calibration values could be improved. Issac recommend fairly significant changes to "Aero" and "wind scaling," and a smaller changes to "Fric" and "Riding Tilt." No changes were recommended for CdA, Crr, or Cal Weight. The recommended changes resulted in a "Noticeable Change" rating of orange, i.e., pretty significant, so I chose to accept the changes and send the profile to my iBike. It was on the next day's trip that the ride file went back to reporting the negative crr value. So, I have to wonder if there's something in the Analyze-Check Calibration function that causes a file with non-road "pre-adjustment" values to get altered in an undesireable way.

I was going to try the Analyze-Check Calibration routine on the file you just posted, but, at only a half-mile in length, it's too short to allow an assessment. So, to be complete in your testing, I think riding a distance that would allow Check Calibration analysis, accepting the suggestions, and rechecking the crr in a ride file after having loaded the "improved" profile would address this additional quandry. I'll definitely do exactly that with the profile that you've sent me to see what happens.

Connecting the Newton to your computer, going to "Edit Profiles..." in Issac, and clicking the "Send to Device" button doesn't seem like something that you can easily do wrong (as you're implying that I have done). So that I fully understand the process that you went through and I'm absolutely sure that I'm handling these profiles and ride files properly:
1) When you say, "3) I switched to profile 2 in my Newton," do you mean that you chose Profile 2 in the Issac "Edit Profile - Set Active Profile in Device" dropdown field before clicking "Send(ing) to Device," or did you choose the Profile 2 setting on the Newton itself?
2) When you say, "5) I confirmed that the contents of profile 2 had the correct Crr," are you looking at the profile in Issac (Edit Profile-Advanced), or directly on the Newton?
3) I asked once before, and I'll ask again: Is it possible to view the current Crr and other ride calibration values directly on the Newton? This would be the ultimate way of confirming the current "onboard" values. It seems like that was once possible, but I can't find the screens currently...
4) You said, "I think the key here is to make sure to reset the Crr AFTER the Newton has been calibrated on the bike (i.e. you have cycled with the Newton on your bike for at least 8 minutes)." I've now done about a half dozen rides (covering hours on the saddle) with the Newton mounted in the current configuration. Does that mean that if I load the ride file you posted for me at this point, I've complied with this "key point?"
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

1) I'm not implying that anyone is doing anything "wrong". I completely accept that something peculiar is going on. We are both trying to figure out what it is

2) Analyze-Check Calibration is a feature whose primary purpose is to correct wind scaling. If Analyze-Check Calibration is messing up your profile Crr, then something may be wrong with the Analyze function. Therefore, for the time being I would NOT use Analyze-Check Calibration in this testing.

3) I will do a bit longer ride and try the Analyze function. We'll see what happens! :D

4) I used Isaac to switch to profile 2. This can also be done in Newton setup. It doesn't make any difference which way it is done

5) I confirmed the profile by having the Newton connected to Isaac, then using the command "Edit/Edit Profiles/Extract from Device"

6) Crr is not displayed on the Newton screen

7) Please do a ride with the "ratman" profile, then post the ride file afterwards, making sure that no post-processing of the file is done.
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote: 7) Please do a ride with the "ratman" profile, then post the ride file afterwards, making sure that no post-processing of the file is done.
Well, I loaded the "ratman" profile, then did the same out&back ride that I've been doing during this testing. I did see a few peculiar values displayed on the screen during the ride, but I did no post-processing of the ride file. The bottom line is that it's not the Analyze function apparently:
2017_01_06_1228_9_Miles.ibr
(301.65 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I think we need to start with a "clean slate" for your Newton:

1) Attach your Newton to Isaac

2) Use Isaac to set your Newton to profile 2 (or some other profile that you don't use). "Device/Set Active profile in Newton..."

3) For the profile you have selected, use the command "Device/Setup/Reset Profile-Device..." and click the "Reset Profile x" button ("x" is the profile number you selected in step 2)). This will restore profile "x" to factory condition. After reset you'll see that in the "Edit Profiles/Advanced" tab, the "Tilt Cal" window will say "empty"

4) Pair up your sensors. BY THE WAY: your speed sensor readings are somewhat erratic. If you're using a magnet-less sensor, put it on the front wheel hub. IMPORTANT: after pairing go into setup, and confirm that your Newton is set to profile "x" (the one you've cleared out).

5) Next, in Newton Setup, select the "Cal Ride" function; then, perform an out-and-back calibration ride. The cal ride will set the wind and tilt parameters of your profile. IMPORTANT: if your fat bike fork has a lockout suspension option, make sure you lock out the fork during the cal ride.

6) Download and save the cal ride. The ride file should end in "...calride.ibr"

7) After the cal ride use the Edit/Edit Profiles function to extract your profile from your device. You should see 0.0054 for the Crr, and the Tilt Cal window should say "*****" (tilt cal was measured during the cal ride).

8) Click the radio button next to "Riding Tilt". Riding Tilt will now say "Hold", and "Crr" will be adjustable. Adjust Crr to 0.0172, then click "Accept".

9) Open "Edit/Edit Profiles" window, make sure the profile you've just changed is highlighted, then click the "Send to iBike" button. A confirming message will appear.

10) Do a ride with your new profile.

11) Download this ride

12) Post the cal ride file and the ride file after profile adjustment.

If the Tilt Cal number of your original profile is corrupted, it could force Crr to be negative. With a new profile and cal ride of the above steps, hopefully Tilt Cal value will be correct and your Crr will be OK

We will find out...
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote: 12) Post the cal ride file and the ride file after profile adjustment.
Ok, I follow those instructions to a "T," then post the cal ride and ride file after profile adjustment. I hope to be able to do this soon, but I know that I won't have an opportunity to ride until at least Tuesday, and there's about of week of cold rain in the forecast after that...

By the way, you mentioned a couple of weeks ago that you had some riders testing fatbike Crrs for you. What were their findings?
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote: 4) Pair up your sensors. BY THE WAY: your speed sensor readings are somewhat erratic. If you're using a magnet-less sensor, put it on the front wheel hub. IMPORTANT: after pairing go into setup, and confirm that your Newton is set to profile "x" (the one you've cleared out).
I do have a magnet-less sensor, but, unfortunately, it's already on the front hub. Since I'll be re-pairing, perhaps that will result in more consistent speed measurements (although I haven't noticed any strange behavior on my Wahoo Elemnt). I'll check the speed sensor battery before riding again and replace it if necessary as I suppose the cold weather could make an already weak battery even more inadequate.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Ratman wrote:
Velocomp wrote: 12) Post the cal ride file and the ride file after profile adjustment.
Ok, I follow those instructions to a "T," then post the cal ride and ride file after profile adjustment. I hope to be able to do this soon, but I know that I won't have an opportunity to ride until at least Tuesday, and there's about of week of cold rain in the forecast after that...

By the way, you mentioned a couple of weeks ago that you had some riders testing fatbike Crrs for you. What were their findings?
No results yet; too cold for my rider!
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote:I think we need to start with a "clean slate" for your Newton:

1) Attach your Newton to Isaac

2) Use Isaac to set your Newton to profile 2 (or some other profile that you don't use). "Device/Set Active profile in Newton..."

3) For the profile you have selected, use the command "Device/Setup/Reset Profile-Device..." and click the "Reset Profile x" button ("x" is the profile number you selected in step 2)). This will restore profile "x" to factory condition. After reset you'll see that in the "Edit Profiles/Advanced" tab, the "Tilt Cal" window will say "empty"
I've just followed the first three steps, and they seemed to go as expected. Under Step 3, though, when I check in the "Edit Profiles/Advanced" tab, the "Tilt Cal" window says, "*****," not "Empty." I was going to redo Step 3 for Profile 3 (my selected Profile that I haven't been using), but I accidentally clicked, "Device/Set Active Profile in Newton...," and I noticed that it had Profile 3 pre-selected, and described it as being set to "Factory Default."

So, is it OK to proceed with your instructions, or is something wrong? Why am I not seeing "Empty" in the "Tilt Cal" field? Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

To quote from an old TV show (this will date me, for sure...)

"Danger, Will Robinson!"

I'm not sure how many profiles you have active on your Newton, but unless you are start with a profile with an "empty" tilt cal, your new testing won't be meaningful.

Just to keep everything as safe as possible, I would recommend resetting all four of your profiles individually, using the instructions provided previously. You will lose any profile information already stored in your Newton (you can restore them later on) but your Newton won't have any chance of being anything other than in factory mode.

After you've reset your profiles, you should see "empty" in the tilt cal window of all four profiles. This is essential.

Then, follow the steps outlined in the previous post.
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote: After you've reset your profiles, you should see "empty" in the tilt cal window of all four profiles. This is essential.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place to confirm this. I've reset all four profiles individually as instructed. When I view the profiles listed under "Edit Profiles," two of the entries show "Empty" for Tilt Cal, but the remaining ones (8 or 10 others) still show asterisks.

Where should I see "empty" listed?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

After resetting the profiles, go to "Edit Profiles" and click the "Extract from Device" button. This will show what is stored in your Newton. All four profiles should say "Empty" in the tilt cal box.
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote:After resetting the profiles, go to "Edit Profiles" and click the "Extract from Device" button. This will show what is stored in your Newton. All four profiles should say "Empty" in the tilt cal box.
All 4 profiles said "Empty" after the four resets, so I was able to do the cal ride per your instructions. The Crr doesn't look right, but I'll let you analyze the file:
2017_01_10_1228_1_Miles_CalRide.ibr
(37.19 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Should I continue? If not, what are the next steps? Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

WE FOUND THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM!!!!

There is an old, obscure limit in the firmware, from 10 years ago, that forces Crr to a crazy value when the user's friction input is too high.

With fat bikes and some MTBs, the user friction input is correct but beyond the internal limit of the FW.

So, we will be issuing a FW update to fix this problem.

This is an "edge case" but we are glad to find this improvement.
John Hamann
offpiste.reese

Post by offpiste.reese »

That's great you found that. I look forward to getting that update.

I am having an issue with my PowerPod losing pairing with my Garmin. As
you suggested, I went out and got a magnet less speed sensor. I had to do
another calibration ride. During the calibration ride, it got to about 50%
and the light on the Power Pod started flashing red and the power reading
held at 50 for about a minute. Then, the light continued to flash red, but
the readout started moving back up. It eventually got to 100 and started
to display a reasonable power figure for maybe 30 seconds. It then started
to count back up from zero again. I continued to ride until it hit 100
again. It then started to count up again. At this point I stopped. I
tooke the PowerPod off and hooked it to the PC and downloaded the ride
file.

The next day, I took a ride with the Power Pod. Turned it on, light
flashed green and red for a period of time, then stopped. It did not
broadcast data, I had my Garmin set to the same profile I had used the
previous day to do the calibration ride. When I was finished, I took the
PowerPod off and downloaded the data. It appears it was recalibrating,
then the data seemed to be ok.

How do I pair it with the Garmin again, without doing another calibration
ride?
offpiste.reese

Post by offpiste.reese »

Sorry about the formatting on the previous message. I cut and paste on my phone.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote:WE FOUND THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM!!!!

There is an old, obscure limit in the firmware, from 10 years ago, that forces Crr to a crazy value when the user's friction input is too high.

With fat bikes and some MTBs, the user friction input is correct but beyond the internal limit of the FW.

So, we will be issuing a FW update to fix this problem.

This is an "edge case" but we are glad to find this improvement.
Funny, this isn't surprising news to me in the least. I've been ridiculed and/or ignored in the past for bringing this issue up, noting the problem on this forum as far back as July 17, 2012:

"Re: Calibration on a MTB with unlockable front shocks

Postby Ratman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:02 am
Also, you may not be able to use a crr typical of many low-pressure mtb tires. I don't know if a Gen III is designed the same way, but on a Newton, when trying to use a crr which results in the fric value exceeding 25, the Newton forces the fric value down to a default value, in my case 6.555. This results in a large, systematic underestimation of rolling resistance, which is an especially significant component of power during off-road riding.

The fric value override occurs even when the Issac software's "Check Calibration" recommends that a fric value higher than 25 be used..."

Every time I brought this up (and there were several such times over the years), my posts ultimately ended up being ignored. If you had given this concern serious consideration instead of doing superficial tests "...for laughs" (example, Jan 3, 2017 post: "...I do not see any reason a "fat bike" configuration would cause this mystery. Just for laughs I will set up my Newton with an identical profile and then ride it around to see if something weird happens."), you could have saved me hours and hours of careful posting, recalibrating, and testing in a misguided search for an answer (rather than double checking the code for a possible bug as I had suggested).

Now, I see that the first instance of a fix for this issue was included in the most recent PowerPod 6.22 firmware update. To be fair to those of us who've suffered with this bug for years on our Newtons, when can we expect a firmware update to allow our devices to be usable again?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We appreciate everyone who participates in this forum, and we do our very best to treat everyone with respect. Our nearly 4,000 posts hopefully reflect that appreciation and respect.

Certainly, your observations were not ignored! We did testing to see if we could replicate the problem (we were unable to do so); yet still, we still remained "on the hunt" to search for any underlying problem.

This is a very obscure bug. It was only by accident, while working on a different problem, that we discovered it.

And when we discovered the bug, we fixed it immediately on PowerPod, where we continue to do extensive firmware development.

We are not doing FW development on Newton. However, a bug is a bug, so we will soon issue a FW update for Newton that will correct this problem.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Velocomp wrote:
We are not doing FW development on Newton. However, a bug is a bug, so we will soon issue a FW update for Newton that will correct this problem.
Two hours after writing the above post, we have FW518 for Newton ready to go, with the same improvements as PP FW.

We will need to wait a week or so for Travis to return from vacation, so that the FW can be posted on to Isaac.
John Hamann
Ratman

Post by Ratman »

Velocomp wrote:
Velocomp wrote:
Two hours after writing the above post, we have FW518 for Newton ready to go, with the same improvements as PP FW.

We will need to wait a week or so for Travis to return from vacation, so that the FW can be posted on to Isaac.
Yes, a bug is a bug. Thanks -- that's the right thing to do.
hoosier1981

Post by hoosier1981 »

Hi all - I was going to take the fat bike out this weekend and give the PP a shot. I currently use PowerPod on my road / cx bikes. However - this just leaves my fat bike to set up (I've never tried it yet). I got a new Bluto fork with lockout, so calibration should be easy.
I realize CRR value doesn't make a huge difference between road tires, but as the fat tires can vary wildly, has anyone come to a close number on the Surly Bud / Lou 4.8 tires? I'll be running them at 5 lbs and would (guestimate) the crr to be close to .020 in light snow and dirt as they're the most beastly tires I've seen. I'll do some tinkering but thought I'd check in case anybody has already come up with a good number.