Powerpod and Bkool Trainer

lspringett

Powerpod and Bkool Trainer

Post by lspringett »

Hi,

Done a search but no luck can anyone tell me if the bkool Classic trainer can be used with the powerpod for indoor training. From what I have read I gather I have to select the trainer to get the correct power curve profile.

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerpod and Bkool Trainer

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, we don't have this trainer modeled in our software.
John Hamann
lspringett

Post by lspringett »

Cheers, any plans to add to list. Dont really want to use one PM when on road and another (built in trainer power) indoors.

Thanks.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask them for a speed/power curve. If you can provide their curve to us we will add it to the trainer list.
John Hamann
hamishbarker

Post by hamishbarker »

the bkool classic is an electronically controlled trainer. I have one and have made the firmware upgrade (if you haven't done it, post here and I'll give instructions - need to use the bkool software) so that it can be controlled by the now-standard ANT FE-C (I think FE-C stands for "fitness equipment control") trainer control protocol.

Under Ant FE-C, I use the Bkool trainer with TrainerRoad on my mac and also now on my android phone. I just checked if it broadcasts the power as an ANT power meter, but it seems that it does not, so the power pod won't pick it up as a direct force power meter. Some other smart trainers such as wahoo kickr, some of the tacx and elite smart trainers etc DO broadcast the power as standard ant+ power meters. i guess then the power pod could receive them as DFPM's.

But with the bkool the only ways are either use the bkool software, or upgrade the trainer to Ant FE-C and use trainerroad, zwift or other ant FE-C compatible software for training rides. I find it works well and seems to give power numbers matching the old powertap wheel I have on the training bike which I have set up.
lspringett

Post by lspringett »

Thanks I've got all the updates and have been using with both training road and zwift for last 12 months.

Only asking about this as want to use the same device indoors and our to ensure as close to consistent information as possible.