Profiles and trainer options

andyheaps

Profiles and trainer options

Post by andyheaps »

Hi, a couple of issues I've been having setting my powerpod up...

Firstly none of the default profiles that are supposed to be set up already are. Is that a problem or Is it ok to just set them up myself, and if I do is there anything important that's not that immediatelty obvious I need to set up within the profile?

Secondly I have a Tacx vortex but its not in the list of trainers yet it says the list is up to date. What should I select to use the powerpod on my trainer?

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Profiles and trainer options

Post by Velocomp »

Your PowerPod ships with 4 default profiles:

Profile 1, 3 and 4 are for the handlebar mount

Profile 2 is for the combo Garmin/PP mount

Make sure to update your PowerPod to FW 607!

You can customize these profiles using the Device/Setup Newton... feature in Isaac (PowerPod sets up the same way as its big brother Newton Power Cycling Computer)

Note that, to use the indoor trainer option, you need to set your PP to indoor trainer mode using Isaac.

For Tacx Vortex, set your trainer to 0% slope, then in Isaac choose theTacx Mag Cycle Track Level 7/7, which matches the Vortex curve quite closely!
Attachments
Tacx Mag Cycle Track Level 7/7
Tacx Mag Cycle Track Level 7/7
Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 6.19.13 PM.png (194.56 KiB) Viewed 10092 times
Tacx Vortex, 0% grade
Tacx Vortex, 0% grade
Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 6.15.11 PM.png (357.37 KiB) Viewed 10092 times
John Hamann
andyheaps

Post by andyheaps »

The attached image is what the profile page looks like. The 'exocet' one I added myself as none of the default ones that were in the instructions seemed to be there. The other profile was the only other one that existed when I first loaded isaac. What exactly do I need to do, as it's not clear from the instructions.

What is fw607 and how do i update the powerpod to it?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 08.53.01.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 08.53.01.jpg (129.22 KiB) Viewed 10073 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

On the page you displayed, click the "Export" button to place your profile on your desktop. Then post the profile.

To update to 607, use the "Device/Check Online for Firmware Update..." command.

Then, follow the prompts.
John Hamann
Musiker

Post by Musiker »

Suggestion for future versions of Isaac could be to have an easy way to default back to standard profiles, because I messed around with the profiles in my pod before I realised that they were preconfigured for different mounts. Still haven't figured it out :-)

Another suggestion is maybe to name the profiles shipped in the pod with something more saying than profile 1..4 (handlbar mount Profile, combo mount profile, trainer profile etc.) Or just something short that would trigger me to go look in the manual :-)

BR
Henrik
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Noted!
John Hamann
andyheaps

Post by andyheaps »

Hi,

So I did everything you mentioned and that was all ok.

Then I tried to set it up on the turbo and calibrate it. It paired with the speed sensor as per the instructions. My Garmin found the powerpod and the light was solid amber but when I clicked calibrate on my garmin the light didn't change. My Garmin said it has calibrated within about 2 seconds but the pod light never went green. I tried pedalling for 5 minutes regardless, as per the instructions, but nothing.

That said my garmin did then pick up power readings from the pod that looked roughly correct but the light stayed solid amber the whole time.

On a separate note, after having stopped pedalling the amber light remained. An hour later it still remains and no combination of pressing the button seems to be able to turn it off.

So in short what am I doing wrong in calibrating, and how do I turn it off?

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

In trainer mode, with FW 607, the yellow light will remain on until PowerPod goes to sleep. This is an annoyance and minor bug, but won't hurt anything. We will be releasing FW 608 shortly, which corrects this problem.

Note that the "calibrate" screens in your Garmin have no effect on PowerPod; unlike all other power meters, PowerPod does not require calibration from an ANT+ bike computer. If you do click the calibrate button on your Garmin screen, PowerPod will return the harmless value "0".
John Hamann
andyheaps

Post by andyheaps »

So do I not actually have to calibrate it as per the instructions?

And if I do need to, what do I actually do?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

andyheaps wrote:So do I not actually have to calibrate it as per the instructions?

And if I do need to, what do I actually do?
In trainer mode no calibration is required. All calibration coefficients needed are included in the trainer profile.

I spring time, when you set your PowerPod to outdoor mode, the first 5 minutes of your first ride will be in calibration mode.
John Hamann
andyheaps

Post by andyheaps »

Thanks, and so the fact it's solid orange and not green on the turbo isn't a problem - that's what it's meant to be?
andyheaps

Post by andyheaps »

I've just tried to use it again and it won't even turn on now. When I plug it in to my Mac it doesn't recognise it and when I try to charge it nothing happens - no lights, nothing. Even when trying to turn it on.

I really didn't expect to have all of these issues, pretty disappointing that I've been wanting and trying to use it for a while now and still am not able to
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

andyheaps wrote:I've just tried to use it again and it won't even turn on now. When I plug it in to my Mac it doesn't recognise it and when I try to charge it nothing happens - no lights, nothing. Even when trying to turn it on.

I really didn't expect to have all of these issues, pretty disappointing that I've been wanting and trying to use it for a while now and still am not able to
You may need to reset your PP. Press and hold the button for about 10 seconds, until you its light start to flash. Release the button.

If your PP comes back to life then all should be well.

If not contact tgore@velocomp.com for next steps.
John Hamann
andyheaps

Post by andyheaps »

Ok, I've emailed as it's not doing anything - the reset didnt work