Powerstroke not available with my latest data

usedtobefaster

Powerstroke not available with my latest data

Post by usedtobefaster »

I've had Powerstroke enabled and reviewed the data for some previous rides but it's not available for the ride I did yesterday. In Isaac when I select the Powerstroke button I get the dialog about opening the sample ride data which I used to see before I purchased the Powerstroke key.

Yesterdays ride was on rollers indoor on my second bike which I set up a new profile for and enabled this and set indoor trainer mode. Do I have to reinstall the Powerstroke key if a new profile is used?

Thanks
Paul
Attachments
iBike_01_21_2016_TrainerRd_FTP_aborted.ibr
(54.33 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerstroke not available with my latest data

Post by Velocomp »

PowerStroke does not work on indoor trainer rides.

Make sure you upgrade your PowerPod to the latest FW!
John Hamann
usedtobefaster

Post by usedtobefaster »

Hi John

Could it be made to work in indoor trainer mode - seems to me to be the best place to concentrate on improving pedaling style where the Powerstroke feedback is very important.

Thanks
Paul
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

PowerStroke measures side-to-side and front-to-back acceleration of the bike/rider. Since the bike is free to move around on an outdoor ride, PS information is both achievable and valuable.

On an indoor trainer the bike's motion is fixed, either by the solid attachment of the bike frame to the trainer, or by the constricting behavior of rollers.

In either event PS data is not meaningful on a trainer, which is why it is turned off.
John Hamann
John Mac

Re: Powerstroke not available with my latest data, Trainer I

Post by John Mac »

Mr Hammon,
I have used the Powerstroke data from a roller ride and found it very helpful. In particular, when late in the workout and fatigue has set in. As with all of us my pedal stroke suffers mightily. I'm on stationary rollers now but recently purchased E-Motion rollers that do allow movement fore/aft. Any chance of changing the trainer mode in the future to include Powerstroke data? As it is now it is a choice between PS data or wattage but never both at the same time.

One other question re: trainer mode. Several times now I've tried to switch trainer mode either on or off prior to the ride I was about to do with mixed results. Recently I did a ride on the rollers in trainer mode then the following morning I plugged in my Powerpod, turned trainer mode off and received the proper response from Issac, "trainer mode off". I then installed and connected my PP on my road bike and headed out. The wattage was consistently low and seemed connected to speed. I suspected the PP was in trainer mode and confirmed it when I returned and downloaded the data. I've converted the ride to Road Ride, and am obviously w/o PS data from the ride. This scenario has happened a few times now either switching to or from the trainer mode. How can I ensure that the PP has in fact taken the input to turn on or off trainer mode other than with the software telling me after I select it? Or is there something else I must do after I select the turn on or off from the drop down menu?
Thanks,
John
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your observations about indoor trainer PS are very interesting! Please post a sample ride file.

What version of FW are you using?

If you switch modes AFTER your PowerPod has started to record a ride (or it thinks you have started riding) then it may not correctly switch modes until after it goes to sleep and is then reawakened.

I haven't been able to reproduce your bug but we are investigating.
John Hamann
John Mac

Post by John Mac »

Mr Hamman,

As requested I've posted a ride file from a session on my Krietler Rollers. 22 miles I think, and if you look at the ride as two halves its clear that my spinning was suffering at the end. True, the fore and aft is very limited on the Krietlers but it did pick up some fore/aft motion. I'm sure that will be much different on the E-Motion rollers as they have considerable allowable motion fore/aft. That is why the request to have PS included or at least as an option in trainer mode.

Incidentally, this is one of those rides where I had plugged in the PP to Isaac and put the unit in trainer mode. It obviously wasn't as the power curve shows. From the power curve @20mph the Watts should be ~177. At the time of this ride I still didn't understand that PS did not work in trainer mode, and was under the impression I was have problems with the PP due to the power being wonky for the whole ride. At the end of the day these are first world problems and I did get a good workout regardless. I just don't understand why when I select Trainer I/O it doesn't always turn to what I requested or was indicated.

Almost forgot, My FW ver is 6.07

Cheers,
John
Attachments
iBike_01_23_2016_1252_21_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(428.47 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You're right that, on rollers, PowerStroke will pick up your side-to-side motion.

If you want to use PowerStroke with your rollers, right now, here is a neat trick you can do:

1) Set your PowerPod to outdoor mode so that PowerStroke will function

2) Do your ride

3) Download your ride and get your PowerStroke data

4) Go to "Device/Edit Trainer Settings"

5) Make sure you've got your trainer model selected, then check the "Apply to Ride File" box at the bottom right of the window.

6) Click the "Close" button. Your ride file will reappear as a trainer file!

7) To get back to your PowerStroke data, use the "Analyze/Return to Original Download" button.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 6.29.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 6.29.05 PM.png (219.85 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 6.30.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 6.30.51 PM.png (145.19 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
John Hamann
John Mac

Post by John Mac »

Thanks,
I'll use that from time to time just to see if I'm improving. I really prefer to ride outside if WX permits. Committing to a training plan based on power so I really need to use that most of the time. I really hope you guys include PS in the trainer mode in a future FW update.

So, any idea why the trainer mode won't turn on or off when I select it? Is there a way I can verify it before I unplug, other than the box that comes up and says "trainer mode on" or off?

Cheers,
John
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

There may be a small bug causing the "first ride" after switching from outdoor to indoor to still be recorded in outdoor mode.

After switching to indoor mode you can kill the bug by doing a hard reset on your PowerPod.
John Hamann