Problems transmitting power data

mir

Problems transmitting power data

Post by mir »

Hi all,

I have discovered a weird transmitting problem with PPv3.

Hardware:
Dual ANT+/BLE speed and cadence sensor.
Head unit Polar v650 (BLE)
PPv3 upgraded to latest firmware (7.09)

If I turn on Polar and connect the two sensors before turning on the PP the PP is recognized by the Polar and shows a connected state but no power data is transmitted to the Polar but speed and cadence is fine and PP shows solid green indicating connected to the sensors, if I turn on the PP first and connect the sensors to the PP before turning on the Polar everything works correct. To eliminate bad sensors I have tried connecting the sensors through ANT+ to another device when PP does not transmit power data and this profes that there is a correct transmission of ANT+ while connected to BLE simultaneously.

By question is: Is this expected behaviour or is it a bug
Maybe related to this thread: https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php ... ata#p27351
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Problems transmitting power data

Post by Velocomp »

This is an issue related to your Polar:

1) PP pairs to the ANT+ sensor. PP does not "read" any BLE data sent by your ANT+ sensor. In other words, PP does not have any conflict when it sees ANT and BLE speed/cadence signals.

2) PP transmits data in ANT+ and BLE format, in the same manner as your speed/cadence sensor.

3) Your Polar receives the ANT and BLE signals from your dual speed/cadence sensor, and from PP

How the Polar decides what signals to use (ANT or BLE), and in what priority, is unknown to us. Suffice it to say that dual format receivers are difficult to get to work without problems.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am How the Polar decides what signals to use (ANT or BLE), and in what priority, is unknown to us.
But the Polar does not see the ANT+ signals since it has no ANT+ receivers? If I understand what you are saying then PP should retransmit the speed and cadence received through ANT+ as BLE and therefore the Polar should get confused? I was under the impression that the PP only transmit power data?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:21 am
Velocomp wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am How the Polar decides what signals to use (ANT or BLE), and in what priority, is unknown to us.
But the Polar does not see the ANT+ signals since it has no ANT+ receivers? If I understand what you are saying then PP should retransmit the speed and cadence received through ANT+ as BLE and therefore the Polar should get confused? I was under the impression that the PP only transmit power data?
AP receives speed and cadence data by ANT+. PP transmits Power, and retransmits Speed, and cadence data by BLE.
John Hamann
mir

Post by mir »

Velocomp wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:33 pm AP receives speed and cadence data by ANT+. PP transmits Power, and retransmits Speed, and cadence data by BLE.
So I should unpair cadence and speed sensors in the Polar? How do I ensure that speed and cadence come from the PP and not from the sensors own BLE stream.

PS. Should the documentation not be updated on this matter? It is nowhere to be read that PP retransmit speed and cadence.
mir

Post by mir »

Did a small test:

Test 1: Unpair both sensors from Polar. Turn Polar off and on. Polar correctly identifies power, speed and cadence data but beginning a training ride only displays speed data, no power and cadence data.

Test 2: Turn off and on Polar. Pair both sensors directly to Polar. Polar correctly pairs and identifies power, speed and cadence and beginning a training ride displays speed, cadence and power.

To me this indicates problems if PP is responsible for power and speed and cadence at the same time. Given the nature of BLE a unit can only have an active connection to any unit concurrently - onces connected to a unit it blocks connections to all other units, so it should be impossible to have interference between units.
mir

Post by mir »

Looks somewhat identical:

"In relation to my post from April, I worked out that problems occurred if I launched PowerHouse after I'd turned on the PowerPod, but before the bike sensors had woken up. In that scenario it consistently failed, whereas activating PowerPod and bike sensors before launching the app consistently worked."
https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php ... app#p27124
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

mir wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:51 pm Looks somewhat identical:

"In relation to my post from April, I worked out that problems occurred if I launched PowerHouse after I'd turned on the PowerPod, but before the bike sensors had woken up. In that scenario it consistently failed, whereas activating PowerPod and bike sensors before launching the app consistently worked."
https://velocompforum.com/viewtopic.php ... app#p27124
PowerHouse has some bugs in it (which we are fixing) so this is not a good comparison.

It sounds like you have found a workaround. Great!
John Hamann