too much head wind?

kelmadics

too much head wind?

Post by kelmadics »

I rode yesterday on rather windy conditions and after looking at my ride in Isaac I noticed tons of headwind.
I did the check calibration tool and Isaac changed my power significantly lower. I do not mind it being lower but I am concerned now on
how accurate the values I see on my powerpod each time if what i see while riding is much higher than how much watts i can really produce.
Although I believe I got stronger, I want an accurate watts since i used zones while training.

my powerpod is using the front mount that i bought with the combo and a garmin on top. I used the calibration ride that I did a few months (with the same front mount setup) back but used the "setup device/keep accuracy of" feature when editing my new weight which is lesser and lowering the cda .10 with my new aero wheels (i read to lower it from another forum post).

Please advice. TY
Attachments
iBike_10_13_2017_1244_2_Miles_CalRide.ibr
cal ride back in oct where i based my "windy ride" from
(44.93 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
iBike_01_14_2018_1318_15_Miles.ibr
windy ride
(189.99 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
kelmadics

Re: too much head wind?

Post by kelmadics »

Here is another ride just for comparison based on the same calibration ride with weight and aero wheels (cda) adjusted.
The wind here looks more normal.
Attachments
iBike_12_24_2017_1002_23_Miles.ibr
(279.56 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Hello John,
sorry kelmadics for posting in your contribution
I had quite strong headwind on my last ride and I expected much more power.
Could you have a look over the file and tell me if everything is ok or if I have to adjust something?
Thank you and best regards

Cooper
Attachments
Leistungstest Uerdingen 14.01.2018.ibr
(746.06 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

kelmadics wrote:Here is another ride just for comparison based on the same calibration ride with weight and aero wheels (cda) adjusted.
The wind here looks more normal.
Yes, this ride file looks fine.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Cooper wrote:Hello John,
sorry kelmadics for posting in your contribution
I had quite strong headwind on my last ride and I expected much more power.
Could you have a look over the file and tell me if everything is ok or if I have to adjust something?
Thank you and best regards

Cooper
You are fine. You rode with a DFPM, and the two devices are within 2 w of each other.
John Hamann
kelmadics

Post by kelmadics »

do you have any thoughts about the file with tons of headwind? it is using the same calibration ride file base.

interestingly enough i was playing with the data and plugging it in the bike calc website and the average speed on some of the segments are matching the power i need to produce required to finish in the same time. hope that makes sense. this is for the file unmodified directly from powerpod.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

please post the file you want me to review
John Hamann
kelmadics

Post by kelmadics »

Its actually attached on my very first post but i will attach it again.
I also attached the segment i am comparing with the raw file if i plugged the data directly in the bike calculator website, the power it calculates is within the ballpark
except without no headwind.

Conversely the power if I apply the "check calibration" tool on that same raw ibr file will lower my power to about 311watts for that highlighted segment.
If i am targeting 311watts according to that bikecalculator I have to weigh 110lbs to hit 311watts to finish with a 2:09 time! There is no way i can lose 30 or so lbs at my current 147lbs weight!

Maybe i am comparing apples to oranges but let me know your thoughts.
I guess what I am saying is even though the raw IBR file at first looked seemed skewed or wrong with too much headwind, it is reporting accurate data after all without using the "check calibration" but thats where i need your input.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 10.44.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 10.44.57 AM.png (503.94 KiB) Viewed 7659 times
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 10.43.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 10.43.41 AM.png (332.08 KiB) Viewed 7659 times
iBike_01_14_2018_1318_15_Miles.ibr
(189.99 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Hello John,
I'm glad to hear that my data are in orderbut now I'm a little confused :?
Does that mean that the PowerPod sees and records the KeoPowerPedal data too ?
I thought I only drive with the PowerPod or did I set something wrong ?!

best regards

cooper
kelmadics

Post by kelmadics »

Any updates John? thanks!
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

I can't tell from your screenshot where you highlighted your ride.

Your ride file shows overall high wind speed. I fixed this with the Analyze/Check Calibration command

I can't comment on your screen shot, because I have no idea where this is in your ride.
Attachments
Kelmadics_01_14_2018_1318_15_Miles.ibr
(274.7 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
John Hamann
kelmadics

Post by kelmadics »

ok thanks.

One other thing since it may not be this windy when i ride next time, is it correct that i don't have to update the calibration ride file that I use?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

You should load the attached profile into your PP.
Attachments
Kelmadics.ibp
(503 Bytes) Downloaded 180 times
John Hamann
kelmadics

Post by kelmadics »

Thanks for that John but can you please tell me the reason on why i should have another profile?
You said my profile before on my original calibration run was perfect but because of this one instance i need a new a new profile?

Just trying to make sense out of this if everytime something went whack i will need a new profile. so is this profile only if i anticipate windy conditions since the basis
of my original calibration profile was barely any wind? I am concerned a lower wind scaling will output much lower power readings on a calm day?

OR you meant load both profile the original and this one to my PowerPod and Powerpod will be smart enough to switch to this new profile if its windy?
Thanks for the explanation. i am just really confused.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

What's going on is that I am using your ride files to adjust parameters. This is an OK, not best practice. Using ride files can sometimes cause small differences from ride to ride.

If you really want to dial-in your PP I suggest you do an out-and-back calibration ride.
John Hamann
kelmadics

Post by kelmadics »

Velocomp wrote:If you really want to dial-in your PP I suggest you do an out-and-back calibration ride.
I already did that on a good, non windy day. In fact, this ride file (windy file) i am questioning is based off of that calibration ride file that you said yourself on a previous post was perfect!

I will attach the original calibration file that i have with the 2.* windscaling factor.

Also when you said from the above post
Yes, this ride file looks fine.
That file is based off of the original calibration file.
I am trying to make sense why I need to load a new profile when my original was working fine and only got weird with this one ride instance where it got windy.

Also just to clarify when i say "based off" I mean weight adjustments since my discussion with you from another post is i can modify a new profile based on my original calibration file but using the "keep accuracy of" button when i apply my weight adjustments.
Attachments
iBike_10_13_2017_1244_2_Miles_CalRide.ibr
original calibration ride where i base my new profile when i make weight adjustments
(44.93 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Hello John,
I found the right "tool". It is the power meter comparison. Now I see both devices, but not for long, then the pedal is past :D

best regards

cooper
kelmadics

Post by kelmadics »

Hey John,

Here is another ride i recently done over this past weekend. I have not done an O&B ride and still used my original calibration and it seems everything is fine.
I am uploading this in hopes you guys may fix the anomaly ride I had that started this thread.

BTW, Is there an instruction somewhere on how I can interpret "aero" and "rolling" values seen in Isaac? I want to analyze it in hopes of improving my aerodynamic positioning.
Attachments
iBike_01_20_2018_0707_64_Miles.ibr
(766 KiB) Downloaded 134 times