APS question

jazclrint

APS question

Post by jazclrint »

Since I put in the order for my new Newton I have downloaded Issac and started reading he instructions. It says this in bold letters:
"APS requires the use of an ANT+ combined speed/cadence sensor on each of your bikes."
I'd just like a clarification. Do you mean APS will only work on the bikes I have combo sensors on, or if one of my bikes has individual speed and cadence (which one of them has, and a combo is not really possible) I can't use the APS feature at all?

Thank you.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: APS question

Post by Velocomp »

APS works with combined speed/cadence sensors, or with separate speed and cadence sensors.

We will clarify the instructions.
John Hamann
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Cool! Thank you for letting us know.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
Pete

Post by Pete »

If I take my son on a training ride with our Newton on his bike, is there any 'risk' that APS will pick up my sensors and switch profiles mid-ride?
Eg If I re-start from lights ahead of him?
Or does Newton need to get out-of-range of the 'old' profile before selecting a new one?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Pete wrote:If I take my son on a training ride with our Newton on his bike, is there any 'risk' that APS will pick up my sensors and switch profiles mid-ride?
Eg If I re-start from lights ahead of him?
Or does Newton need to get out-of-range of the 'old' profile before selecting a new one?
I'm guessing here that the Newton also has your profile in it, too.

If so there is no worry about accidental profile switching, and here is why:

1) At the beginning of a new day (and ride), the unit does an APS search. As long as you aren't standing next to your son's bike with your bike, which has been awakened, the Newton will find his bike. When his sensors are found, APS shuts off.

2) During the bike ride, the Newton will continue to lock-in on his bike, even if your bike is next to his.

3) If you stop for a break and the Newton goes to sleep, it will remain locked-in on his bike following wake-up (APS is still shut-off).

4) ONLY IF your Newton sleeps for 4 hours (so it automatically does a Trip Reset, which initiates APS), or IF he manually does a Trip Reset, does APS start again.
John Hamann
Pete

Post by Pete »

Excellent!