Angle of Newton using RWS

EHB

Angle of Newton using RWS

Post by EHB »

Hi I've moved my TT bars around a bit and an trying to decide on the best position for the Newton.

I use the Remote Wind Sensor so don't need the Newton to stick out into the air. I am thinking of having it between the two bars, but I have then close together. So, I'd like to rotate it. I'd also like pitch it a little if possible (to aid reading it). Are there any restrictions on what rotation it pitch I can have it? I've read the instructions and watched the YouTube clip and didn't see the answer.

Obviously, I will repeat the calibration again. It will also be paired with a DFPM (crank).

Thanks
EHB

Re: Angle of Newton using RWS

Post by EHB »

Before I start cutting metal and drilling it would be useful to have an idea that the end project will work. Are you able to say about tolerance angles for the Newton body or shall I email support?

Thanks
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Keep the pitch angle to less than +/- 20 degrees.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

Thanks

Is that 20 degrees in both rotation and pitch?
EHB

Post by EHB »

Sorry wrong r word. Roll, not rotation. Yaw will be straight ahead.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, I've never learned "roll" "pitch" and "yaw" in their aeronautical sense... :-)

The Newton has a long axis, which runs through the wind port, and a short axis, which is perpendicular to the long axis.

The short axis should be parallel with the handlebars, though a variation of +/-10 degrees is acceptable.

The long axis should be approximately level with the pavement beneath it. A variation from parallel of +/-20 degrees will work, however.
John Hamann
EHB

Post by EHB »

Thanks. As you can tell from me getting roll and rotation the wrong way, I don't know the system very well either. I hadn't really thought about yaw at all. I'm not sure I can think how it would work with being able to read it.

It's actually very helpful to know about the pitch. My aerobar extensions have a 30 degree angle in them. That leaves me with the option of starting with the extensions negative so the net + angle is less than 20 degrees. Or switching to S shaped bars.