iOS App, NewtonTrack, Connection issues

jayt

iOS App, NewtonTrack, Connection issues

Post by jayt »

I took a ride yesterday using my Newton and iPhone with NewtonTrack app. At the end of ride it failed to up load. I get the following message:

Failed sending Ride data. Ride upload timed out. Try again later.

I tried WiFI, LTE etc. no difference. I rebooted the phone, I logged out and logged back in, but I am still getting the same message (18 hrs later). Anyone seen this? Any ideas? Submitted a support request, but thought I would try this out too. I have previously successfully uploaded 3 or 4 rides from the same phone. Fortunately, I also had my trusty Garmin 500, so the data was captured. It does look like the app recorded the data too, I just can't use it in the Isaac application.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: iOS App, NewtonTrack, Connection issues

Post by Velocomp »

We will look into this right away.
John Hamann
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the alert--a couple of other customers have had trouble also. I'm looking into the issue with urgency. I might email you later to have you try to upload again to test a fix.

Travis
jayt

Post by jayt »

At 12:33 PDT I was just able to upload to Isaac. :-)
Thanks,
Jay
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

We found a bug in our server software. It has been corrected and this issue should no longer exist.
John Hamann
jayt

Post by jayt »

Thanks for your prompt response. It is all working fine for me again.

Jay
Christian

Post by Christian »

Hi, if I send the the GPS file to GE, using the blue GE button, the also installed base camp appears on the screen but GE sleeps. The track is visible as a line but no informations about power and so on.
So whats going wrong?

Christian
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Christian wrote:Hi, if I send the the GPS file to GE, using the blue GE button, the also installed base camp appears on the screen but GE sleeps. The track is visible as a line but no informations about power and so on.
So whats going wrong?

Christian
Isaac sends the KML file to your computer's OS and then the OS sends the KML file to the default program assigned to open the KML file type. Normally Google Earth is the default program when you have it installed, but apparently Base Camp asserted itself as the default program for KML file on your computer. If you google for "choose default program", you should find some help in making the change back to Google Earth.

First of all, save a KML file to your desktop if you don't already have one handy. Here's how: click the GE button in Isaac, and then select the button "Save KML File" instead of trying to send it to GE. Just save the file on your Desktop.

Note that in either Mac or Windows, you should be able to right-click (or command-click on Mac) and manually select Google Earth as the program you want to use to open the file. You can do this every time if you want Base Camp to continue to be the default program for opening KML files. But if you want to change the default program for opening KML files, read on...

Next, if you have Windows, try right-clicking on a KML file and select "Open With -> Choose Default Program...". If you want more detailed help, here's one: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... dows-7.htm

If you have Mac, here's a step-by-step showing you how to select a default program: http://www.bittbox.com/os-x/how-to-set- ... n-mac-os-x

Travis
Christian

Post by Christian »

Hi Travis, THX, it works. Best Toy ever! By the way, what do you think will be the percentage of women in the sales statistics for this unit?-) In my mind it's under 1%. :-)

Christian
funkmeister

Post by funkmeister »

Hi,

It's been relatively problem free using the iOS NT app, but I've encountered a situation where the GPS data for a ride I did earlier this week just couldn't upload and kept returned the "Failed sending Ride data (Ride upload timed out. Try again later.)" error message. The subsequent rides seemed to ok and uploaded normally.

Is there something I can do to get this particular ride to upload?

Thanks in advance,
Isaac
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

For the iOS version of NT, click the "My Rides" icon at the bottom left of the main screen. Select the ride that you want to resend by touching the > symbol to the right of it.

Then, touch "Isaac" in the top right corner. That will resend the ride to the server.
John Hamann
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

funkmeister wrote:Hi,

It's been relatively problem free using the iOS NT app, but I've encountered a situation where the GPS data for a ride I did earlier this week just couldn't upload and kept returned the "Failed sending Ride data (Ride upload timed out. Try again later.)" error message. The subsequent rides seemed to ok and uploaded normally.

Is there something I can do to get this particular ride to upload?

Thanks in advance,
Isaac
It looks like you have the iOS version of NewtonTracker, which allows you to manually re-upload rides. Did you try to re-upload the ride? When you are viewing a ride in the app, you can resend it to the server by touching the orange "Isaac" button. Try doing that for 2 rides in succession: once for a ride that you had no problems (to make sure the iPhone has a solid network connection) and then reattempt to upload the problem ride (to hopefully get it uploaded).

If you still have trouble, let me know and I'll look into it. I will send you an email in a moment so you have my address.

Travis
funkmeister

Post by funkmeister »

Hi guys,

Firstly thanks for the very prompt responses and suggestions!

I've tried the various suggestions and have yet to get it to upload. I'm going to go for a ride tomorrow morning; I'll try uploading the recalcitrant ride data after the most latest ride gets to the server.

Travis - thanks for reaching out, I have your email now, I'll drop you a mail to follow up if it still doesn't work.

Wishing everyone a great start to 2014.

Best,
Isaac
blp

Post by blp »

Getting same response today, Feb 28, 2015
"Failed sending Ride data"

Tried suggestions Travis offered with no success.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

blp wrote:Getting same response today, Feb 28, 2015
"Failed sending Ride data"

Tried suggestions Travis offered with no success.
Hmm...I just tried uploading a NT ride, and had no problems. So, our server is working as of 755PM EST on Feb 28.

Make sure you have a good wifi or cell phone connection. You'll get the error message you've got otherwise...
John Hamann
blp

Post by blp »

Must have been a transitory thing. The file uploaded without any issue a few minutes later.