By popular demand: Export for Strava/TrainingPeaks

Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

By popular demand: Export for Strava/TrainingPeaks

Post by Velocomp »

We know lots of you use Strava and TrainingPeaks.

We do too, and we're making it super-easy to use either with your Newton!

In release 2.2.2 of Isaac there are two new commands:

Strava

IMPORTANT: Strava REQUIRES GPS data in your ride files. Newton Tracker will add GPS data automatically to your Newton, or you can merge GPS data in Isaac from some other source.

Use the command "File/Export for Strava..." Isaac will export a csv file that's ready for you to import into Strava

TrainingPeaks

Use the command "File/Export for TrainingPeaks..." Isaac will export a csv file that's ready for you to import into TrainingPeaks

After you've exported your ride file, you can import your ride file into the application you selected.
Attachments
export to Strava.PNG
export to Strava.PNG (16.71 KiB) Viewed 11376 times
John Hamann
jayt

Re: By popular demand: Export for Strava/TrainingPeaks

Post by jayt »

John,

This is great, but it would still be nice to have a true "one button" export (unless I am reading your post incorrectly, it sounds like you 1. export from Isaac, then 2. go into Strava or TrainingPeaks and import a file, right?). Applications like PerfPro and open source GoldenCheetah both have "one button" export to TrainingPeaks. Meaning, you hit the command in the app and it is in TrainingPeaks. Both also had that for Strava, but alas Strava seems to have made it difficult for third parties to work with them. It is great that you guys are responsive to your customer base, just keep pushing the envelope.
RGA

Post by RGA »

I pair up the Newton to my Strava app directly and do it that way. You just need the ANT+ dongle from Wahoo and your set to go.
Keep on Pedaling,

Ray Garza
wormscoffer

Post by wormscoffer »

Do these new menu options add stuff to the export that is specific to the Strava and TrainingPeaks files? If not, how are do they add any functionality to the current autosave of a CSV file other than add mouse clicks?

What I think is needed is options in the setup to enter your credentials for third party sites and check boxes for the ones you use and then a single "Export to training log sites" button or menu option.

My post ride procedure goes like this :
  • Allow Garmin ANT+ agent to grab workout from Garmin and upload to Garmin Connect
  • Use Isaac to download ride from Newton
  • Merge Garmin FIT file to workout in Isaac
  • Save Isaac file (and CSV is exported automatically)
  • Upload CSV export to Strava using Strava website
  • Upload CSV to TrainingPeaks using TraningPeaks website
This can take a while and if you are sitting down to do some training planning and/or analysis is just fine. Other times I just want to get it done and get on with something else, like going to work!

Isaac is wonderful software, but some features to automate or speed up things would be good. I still need to have a play with AutoHotKey and see if that can help.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

jayt wrote:John,

This is great, but it would still be nice to have a true "one button" export (unless I am reading your post incorrectly, it sounds like you 1. export from Isaac, then 2. go into Strava or TrainingPeaks and import a file, right?). Applications like PerfPro and open source GoldenCheetah both have "one button" export to TrainingPeaks. Meaning, you hit the command in the app and it is in TrainingPeaks. Both also had that for Strava, but alas Strava seems to have made it difficult for third parties to work with them. It is great that you guys are responsive to your customer base, just keep pushing the envelope.
We'd like to get to direct import, but you're right that Strava doesn't make it easy. And there are API interface issues on the Mac platform that we are working out, too.

One step at a time :D
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

wormscoffer wrote:Do these new menu options add stuff to the export that is specific to the Strava and TrainingPeaks files? If not, how are do they add any functionality to the current autosave of a CSV file other than add mouse clicks?
We've got a broad spectrum of users: the few super-experts who get things to work, no matter how unobvious that may be; the broad masses, who want the benefits of the Newton but not the hassle of reading the instructions; and the few people who, no matter how easy it is, will still find a way to make it not work. ;)

These menus make the less-than-obvious, totally obvious. The file formats are still csv; and no secret, new information is included in the files. But if your goal is to get your ride data into Strava or TrainingPeaks, and you don't want to read the instructions to find out how to do it, then this is the easy way...

If you're an iBike/Strava/TrainingPeaks/etc expert, you are already successfully getting your rides into your software-of-choice, without the benefit of these simplifying commands.

But most of us aren't experts, and making it easy is what we want, even when we won't say so. :D
John Hamann
ldmitruk

Post by ldmitruk »

What would be nice would be the ability to choose a default format Issac export to. If I remember correctly Issac automatically creates a csv file from the ride file. So it would a fairly easy step, "only a few lines of code" :lol: to quote a colleague of mine, to get this added to Issac.
jayt

Post by jayt »

Velocomp wrote:
We'd like to get to direct import, but you're right that Strava doesn't make it easy. And there are API interface issues on the Mac platform that we are working out, too.

One step at a time :D
John, thanks. I do appreciate the one step at a time. I also appreciate not leaving the Mac platform behind. It is encouraging that PerfPro has been able to reinstate their direct one button import to Strava, so it seems the Strava API fiasco is easing a bit. Again, thanks for keeping the platform moving forward.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi there

I tried recently to export a ride file with GPS data in GPX format (via the Isaac menu option) hoping to merge it with a Garmin Virb video.
However when I tried to import that to Garmin Virb Edit it gave an error along lines of "GPX file has no header or GPS data".
A bit of Google suggests that Garmin might be a bit strict with the format protocols of import files.
However whilst the Isaac files may be technically OK, perhaps there is something that can be done at the Isaac end to ensure Garmin is happy?
It seems there may be parser tools available that can convert the files or other edits that can be done manually to the GPX files but I'd need help for that.
gpx error.PNG
gpx error.PNG (13.77 KiB) Viewed 8778 times
Cheers
Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

Just tried to load the iBike GPX file into the converter at http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm and it would not load.
Editing the GPX file to make it comply is beyond me.