Powerstroke and rollers

w01fy

Powerstroke and rollers

Post by w01fy »

Hi all,

Has anyone used PowerStroke on rollers, does it give meaningful results?

Cheers

w01fy
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Powerstroke and rollers

Post by Velocomp »

You should be able to see your side to side motion. Front to back might be constrained (due to the rollers!).

If you try this please post your ride file.
John Hamann
w01fy

Post by w01fy »

I'm going to be doing a session tonight so I will post it up in the next few days.

It will be interesting for me as its a session based around increasing cadence and I will be doing some intervals at a cadence I struggle to hold. Comparing the powerstroke movement to intervals that are at a steady comfortable cadence may yield some interesting results.

Ahead of the session I've also used a DFPM to setup the power curve for my rollers (Tacx Antares) so that will be an interesting comparison to (for me).

I will keep you posted.
w01fy

Post by w01fy »

Well I did the ride and downloaded the data.

I click the Power Stroke button and get a message 'Please visit the ibike store to learn more about measuring your wasted watts', works fine on the previous ride files and if I check the unlocks on the device it has the Power Stroke listed...

I presume then, as soon as you switch the Newton to trainer mode it means you can't use the PowerStroke functionality, either because it overrides the fast record or because the Isaccs software has some logic to disable the PowerStroke.

File attached if anyone knows how to check the sample rate in it to see which one it is (presuming I'm right)

Next session I do on the rollers, I will do with the trainer mode off to see if it makes a difference.

On a separate note, as I used a random file on the rollers to setup the coefficients rather than the stepped approach the roller screen suggests as the protocol, and I've not accurately weighted the bike (need to do this for my next cal ride) and havn't checked the tyre pressure etc its not bad at all. It basically it did really well, 169w vs 176w (ibike vs PowerTap)
Attachments
iBike_12_17_2013_1704_18_Miles.ibr
Roller session
(143.35 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
w01fy

Post by w01fy »

Looking at the file, its not got 'HiDef' in the file name as my other files do, and its much smaller than my other hour rides.

Looks like turning the trainer mode on, removes the fast recording :(
KenS

Post by KenS »

When I moved my Newton to another bike/profile, I had to manually turn on Fast Rec on the second profile.
Then I got the HiDef files
Could be the same when you go into Trainer mode
-- Ken
w01fy

Post by w01fy »

Thanks for the advice Ken, I will try that next time.

I did a roller ride earlier with the trainer mode turned off, interesting results... I'm not exactly stable on rollers mind you :)

I was doing 3 minutes at around 125rpm, the last 30s at as high as possible. Interesting that my wasted watts did reduce in the last 30s of each interval, still pretty high though but not surprising. Its a shame I didn't have the ibike 4 weeks ago when I started using the rollers once a week, as it would be good to have seen the change.
Attachments
Will_Bevan_iBike_12_26_2013_1214_15_Miles_HiDef.ibr
(534.92 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

You should turn trainer mode on as the wind is crazy low and so are the watts. You can fix this to a certain extent by clicking tools > repair > blocked wind sensor. However as you can see, even though your cadence is steady, your watts are varying because of the undulations of the bike. Basically the Newton sees mild up slope then corrects for it with mild down slope. The average for a two minute block is good but staring at the power numbers will drive you batty.

There is far too much movement on rollers to make powerstroke useable so you're better off having accurate power measurements via the trainer mode, IMO.
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (210.45 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
Fernando
w01fy

Post by w01fy »

Thanks for taking the time to do that :)

I was just interested to see if the PowerStroke would give anything decent with the trainer mode on rollers :)
JulianBoulter

Post by JulianBoulter »

w01fy wrote:I'm going to be doing a session tonight so I will post it up in the next few days.

It will be interesting for me as its a session based around increasing cadence and I will be doing some intervals at a cadence I struggle to hold. Comparing the powerstroke movement to intervals that are at a steady comfortable cadence may yield some interesting results.

Ahead of the session I've also used a DFPM to setup the power curve for my rollers (Tacx Antares) so that will be an interesting comparison to (for me).

I will keep you posted.
Hi, just wondering if you still have the power curve for your Taxc Antares rollers? I have these rollers and am looking to use them with my ibike - thanks