Fast Rec keeps coming on

dtrousdale

Fast Rec keeps coming on

Post by dtrousdale »

The doc states that Fast Rec option is for PowerStroke models only (p. 34). The doc also states that when the PowerStroke key is installed, the Newton settings will be changed so that Fast Rec will be normally "on" (p. 42). I do not have PowerStroke, yet Fast Rec keeps coming "on." I'm not sure exactly under what conditions it comes back on, but I think it is sometimes when I turn the unit "off" and then back "on." What's this about? Will this cause me any problems if I leave it "on"? Will it run down the battery faster if it is "on"?
racerfern

Re: Fast Rec keeps coming on

Post by racerfern »

Fast Rec is the hi-def recording that gobbles up available memory. With it you're limited to about six hours of riding so be careful. If it's on it will come on every time the unit is turned on. So, go to setup and the option right after wind cal is FAST REC ON/OFF. Set it to off if so desired and it will stay off until you turn it back on.

Note that if you switch profiles or upload a profile that had it on, it will come back on as the on/off switch is stored in a profile.
Fernando
jazclrint

Post by jazclrint »

Oh, so this is why the Powerstroke option says it comes with 4X the memory. It kinda needs it. I mean, not for folks like me, but people who do centuries and such. Correct?
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
Pete

Post by Pete »

If you do not press "OK" to acknowledge the "Fast Rec On" message, is the unit still recording in the background?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Pete wrote:If you do not press "OK" to acknowledge the "Fast Rec On" message, is the unit still recording in the background?
When you see "On Fast Rec" your Newton is set to record in PowerStroke mode (16x per second). If you click the center button you will, indeed, record your ride in PowerStroke mode.

If you don't need PowerStroke, or you want to save on memory usage, PRESS_HOLD the center button. "On" will flash. Click the up arrow to select "Off". Click the center button to accept.

PowerStroke will be turned off, and you will record in normal ride mode.
John Hamann
Pete

Post by Pete »

Yes but I mean if you (say) don't notice/ ignore it so the message stays on the screen, is the ride being recorded? (If so, PowerStroke mode or not?)

When you first press the OK button to turn on, you then get the "Fast Rec" message, but if you've already actived the sensors you will also get the "spd/cad found" and "PO Out" (tracker) messages flashing up. You can't press OK to "Fast Rec" while those messages are there but if you don't notice them you may think you have pressed OK to deal with "Fast Rec".

IMO the "Fast Rec" confirm message should be a user setting you can turn off.
I have Fast Rec on permanant (on certain profiles) but need to go through this confirm process EVERY time I ride
I had one profile for my commuter that didn't use it (until the spd/cad died)
Wkinght

Post by Wkinght »

Can I clarify how you get it to record Powerstroke as my unit is not recording it at the moment and it was.

When the unit starts up I see the Fast Rec message and its definitely set to On, is there anything else I need to do to ensure that Powerstroke data is recorded.