Question on Cal Ride

aaro

Question on Cal Ride

Post by aaro »

I have the IBike Newton with 5.15 firmware and SRM (or PowerTap) as DFPM.

I have a somewhat specific use for the data provided by my IBike and thus, my main concern is the reliability of the wind speed and barometric data. The data has been good and reliable - no problems there. :) I was just wondering about the CalRide and differences in accuracy levels - if I only use the wind speed and barometric data collected by the IBike from the raw data - do I need to calibrate the system before every ride? Moreover, are the wind speed measurement or barometric data accuracies affected/improved by the Cal Ride? I understand that for the barometric data the IBike needs to be acclimatized for correct barometric data.

Best regards,
Anton
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Question on Cal Ride

Post by Velocomp »

Baro sensor is unaffected by calibrations. You're correct that elevation readings will vary due to changing weather conditions.

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with wind readings. The most important thing to do is to let your Newton acclimate to outdoor temperature, then to do a "Cal Wind" to zero the sensor. See Newton instructions for details.
John Hamann
aaro

Post by aaro »

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm using the data in special conditions and working around the .csv-files with Excel, and I use the wind speed data together with other variables, but I was just curious whether the 'Cal Ride' has an effect on the accuracy of wind speed measurements.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Yes, the cal ride will have a significant effect on wind speed reported.
John Hamann