Using a DFPM to calibrate a trainer

Davis6022

Using a DFPM to calibrate a trainer

Post by Davis6022 »

Since my trainer is not included in the list of trainers with power/speed curves in Isaac, is there a way to calibrate the coefficients of the power/speed curve using a DFPM on the trainer with Newton and Isaac?

If P-in can be enabled in Trainer Mode, this would simplify things. Even better would be an option in Newton and Isaac to directly calibrate the power/speed curve and save it.

Another benefit is we could upload the data here to share with everyone.
Davis6022

Re: Using a DFPM to calibrate a trainer

Post by Davis6022 »

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't tried it yet - waiting for a rainy day. ;)
Russ

Post by Russ »

Hi Davis6022,

Here are two ancient discussions of that:

http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a
and
http://www.ibikeforum.com/viewtopic.php ... er+formula

I don't have a DFPM so have not tried it myself. I was hoping to find the actual formula and description of the coefficients but my search did not find it. I seem to recall someplace on the board they are explained and how to develop the numbers yourself. I think also, per the above link, you can probably still send your data to Travis and he would add the trainer to the supported list.

Hope that helps,
Russ
travispape
Site Admin

Post by travispape »

Here are the instructions for measuring your trainer's power curve using a DFPM. Note that this is also available from within Isaac: Device -> Edit Trainer Settings... -> Coefficients tab -> "?" Button
trainer cal from DFPM.PNG
trainer cal from DFPM.PNG (70.28 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
After you save your DFPM file, open it using the "Fit to DFPM Ride File..." and you will be prompted through the procedure.

Travis
Davis6022

Post by Davis6022 »

Thank you!