Zero Power after Descents

GrantYN

Zero Power after Descents

Post by GrantYN »

I have found that my Newton shows zero watts after a long descent despite the slope reach 0 or + and I'm pedalling fairly hard. It will momentarily register power if I really get on it, i.e., sprint, but then goes back to zero. It seems to take several kilometers to finally start registering on moderate power outputs and takes a long time to reach what I feel is the expected power reading.

I've done several cal rides without a noticeable effect to this problem.
Attachments
iBike_10_02_2015_1352_26_km.ibr
Example ride
(288.92 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Zero Power after Descents

Post by Velocomp »

It looks like your mount may not be solidly attached to the handlebars. What is happening is that, on the descent, your Newton's angle relative to the bike is shifting, causing low watts once you reach the bottom. After you level out it takes the Newton 5 minutes to auto-correct the change in angle.

I've repaired your ride file with the Isaac command Analyze/Analyze Route...

I think if you get your Newton solidly mounted this problem will go away.
Attachments
Newton_JRH_10_02_2015_1352_26_km.ibr
(504.57 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
John Hamann
GrantYN

Post by GrantYN »

Awesome!

I noticed before my ride yesterday that my handlebars had "creeped." I adjusted them and tightened the bolts. The front mount was tight, but the tilt was WAY off. I went for a re-calibration afterwards, but it got so windy that I abandoned it. Still very windy here in Bozeman to day. I'll hope for better weather tomorrow.

Thanks for the solution.
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Check out the video for we did for our Kickstarter campaign for PowerPod.

We taped it in August in Bozeman!
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

GrantYN wrote:Awesome!

I noticed before my ride yesterday that my handlebars had "creeped." I adjusted them and tightened the bolts. The front mount was tight, but the tilt was WAY off. I went for a re-calibration afterwards, but it got so windy that I abandoned it. Still very windy here in Bozeman to day. I'll hope for better weather tomorrow.

Thanks for the solution.
You really don't have to do a new cal ride. Just ride and the Newton will self correct after about 8 minutes.
John Hamann