Frustrating weekend with Newton

brookside

Frustrating weekend with Newton

Post by brookside »

Yesterday I was in a TT and pushed the center button to change screens, my finger also hit the left button, but none of the others, and the Newton did a data reset and consequently I lost my power average for the part of the race already covered. Got home and downloaded the files and as it frequently does Isaac said new IDs found, do you want to save, although the HR monitor and spd/cad sensor have been paired with this profile for many rides. I said yes.

I then went to change profiles for a different bike I'd be using in a crit today and the profile for that bike, for which I'd done a Cal ride and which seemed to be working fine (it was in position #2 on the Newton), was now gone and position 2 had a strange designation I should have noted but didn't. So I Ioaded the desired profile from Isaac back to position #2 and assumed all would be OK. I get to the crit today and when the Newton powers on it tells me to do a Cal ride! And not only that but it won't let me out of the do Cal ride screen into setup to select an existing profile that I figured would be close to the one I really wanted. So I had to do a deliberate data reset to get out and select that alternative profile. Not what I need before the start of a race.

How can I avoid these frequent "New IDs found" messages, the data resets when grazing another button in addition to the center, and having to do a new Cal ride for an established profile loaded from Isaac? And how do you get out of the "Do Cal ride" screen without having to do a data reset?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Frustrating weekend with Newton

Post by Velocomp »

Wow, that's a lot of stuff going on!

Please post a ride file made with your TT bike, and another ride file made with your other bike. They can be old files. They will have the information needed to get you back to 100%.
John Hamann
brookside

Post by brookside »

This first is from the bike who's profile disappeared from the Newton after the data reset during this weekends TT, the second from the TT bike

Thanks,
Attachments
iBike_08_10_2015_1009_29_Miles.ibr
road bike
(635.25 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
iBike_08_05_2015_1843_17_Miles TT.ibr
TT bike
(192.93 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, please do one other thing.

Connect your Newton to Isaac, select profile 1, then go to Edit/Edit Profiles/Extract from Device. Save the profile. Do the same thing with profile 2, then post both profiles.
John Hamann
brookside

Post by brookside »

The "road bike" profile is the one that got lost after the data reset then required another Cal Ride when reloaded.
Attachments
TT profile.ibp
Time Trial bike
(457 Bytes) Downloaded 234 times
Soloist profile.ibp
road bike
(458 Bytes) Downloaded 249 times
brookside

Post by brookside »

I did another Cal ride for the road bike in question, then did a short regular ride out and back, Then did a "check Calibration" on the cal ride, it was tweaked just a bit, saved and reloaded to the Newton. Now that profile is telling me to do another Cal Ride! Again. It's attached here.
Attachments
new soloist 8_18_15.ibp
(458 Bytes) Downloaded 222 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

OK, here is what I think is going on:

1) your road bike information is stored in profile 2

2) your TT bike information is stored in profile 3

By the way, both bikes are nicely calibrated!

I don't know what is stored in profile 1. This may be your APS problem...

Also, for some reason the "soloist" profile you copied is NOT a calibrated profile (tilt is "empty"). So, that is why you are having problems with the "Do Cal" message.

Assuming these are your only two bikes, here is what to do:

1) Copy the two attached profiles on to your desktop. These come from your ride files for each bike.

2) Attach your Newton to Isaac

3) Use the command "Device/Setup/Reset Profile-Device" and reset profile 1, then profile 2, then profile 3, then profile 4. This resets your Newton to factory values

4) Copy the attached profiles into Isaac using the "Edit/Edit Profiles/Import" command

5) Use the command "Device/Set Active Profile", and set the active profile to profile 1

6) Use the "Edit/Edit Profiles" command. Select "Road Bike JRH", then click the "Send to Device" command to copy the Road Bike profile into profile 1

7) Use the command "Device/Set Active Profile", and set the active profile to profile 2

8) Use the "Edit/Edit Profiles" command. Select "TT Bike JRH", then click the "Send to Device" command to copy the TT Bike profile into profile 2

These commands will put good profiles into your Newton for your two bikes, and make it possible for APS to move easily between bikes.

Hopefully, after doing these steps your APS will work properly, and you won't have to do any more cal rides! Let us know...
Attachments
Road Bike JRH.ibp
Road Bike Profile
(413 Bytes) Downloaded 225 times
TT bike JRH.ibp
TT bike profile
(452 Bytes) Downloaded 228 times
John Hamann
brookside

Post by brookside »

Velocomp wrote:OK, here is what I think is going on:

Assuming these are your only two bikes, here is what to do:
I have 4 bikes each with a profile stored in the Newton.

The last time Newton asked me to do a Cal Ride, yesterday, after I had just done a Cal ride for that profile, "soloist", I checked that profile in "Edit Profiles" and it showed there was a value store in Tilt. Maybe you can see that in the last profile "new soloist 8_18_15" I posted.

Given the above should I still follow the steps you provided, and move the other two profiles around to different positions?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

If you have four profiles stored, then ignore the procedure described previously and instead do the following:

1) Copy the two attached profiles from the previous post on to your desktop. These came from your ride files for each bike.

2) Attach your Newton to Isaac

3) Copy the two profiles into Isaac using the "Edit/Edit Profiles/Import" command

4) Use the command "Device/Set Active Profile", and set the active profile to the profile where you have stored your road bike profile (I believe this is profile 2, but you should verify)

5) Use the "Edit/Edit Profiles" command. Select "Road Bike JRH", then click the "Send to Device" command to copy the Road Bike profile into the profile you selected

6)Use the command "Device/Set Active Profile", and set the active profile to the profile where you have stored your TT bike profile (I believe this is profile 3, but you should verify)

7) Use the "Edit/Edit Profiles" command. Select "TT Bike JRH", then click the "Send to Device" command to copy the TT Bike profile you selected

These commands will put good profiles into your Newton for your road and TT bikes, and make it possible for APS to move easily between bikes.
John Hamann
brookside

Post by brookside »

Following the procedure I successfully loaded the Road Bike profile to Newton, and it's not asking me to do a Cal Ride!

I couldn't import the TT Bike profile to Isaac because when attempting to Isaac gave me the message:
"The following profiles were not added because they match existing profiles: TT bike 8/18/2015 Prof #3"

But it's not a problem for now, I think, because the TT profile wasn't a problem in the same way the road bike profile was. My problem on the TT bike was unintentionally initiating a hard reset when hitting the center button and grazing some others when trying to change screens. It's difficult for me at race effort and concentration to a make a pure center button only touch on the Newton every time. And I have to change screens because the four pieces of data I need can't all put on the same screen: power, time, HR, cadence (I'd settle for power, time, HR).

A related question - if I change the name of, or my weight in, an existing profile and then load that edited profile to Newton it shouldn't then be requiring a new Cal Ride, should it?

Thanks,
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

No worries about your TT profile; the message simply means you already have the same profile loaded into Isaac.

No, you don't need to do a new Cal Ride if you change the weight.

I understand the frustration about the center button sensitivity. We changed the Newton circuit board design in early 2015 so that the accidental reset issue no longer exists.
John Hamann