Zero (and generally low) power readings

thrillho

Zero (and generally low) power readings

Post by thrillho »

Hi I've been having very low power readings recently and want to find out what the issue is.
When I have a tailwind or am going downhill I often get a zero reading and have just generally lower readings overall. My power readings when on the indoor trainer are also a bit inconsistent but nowhere near as low as what I get out on the road.
I have the TT version of the ibike newton with the remote wind sensor. I've attached a ride file if someone is able to take a look and give me some guidance on how to fix it.
Cheers Dylan
Attachments
iBike_05_23_2015_0645_85_km.ibr
Did draft a lot but 92w average is not right
(409.04 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Zero (and generally low) power readings

Post by Velocomp »

Your wind sensor is showing very little wind. That is why your watts are low.

Please do the following:

1) Please post photos of your TT bike setup, showing how your RWS and tube are located on your bike, as well as your Newton's position.

2) In a windless location go into Setup and scroll to the Cal Wind screen. You should see a number in the top screen. That number should be close to 0. If it is not, then click the center button to get it to zero

3) Make sure there are no kinks in your RWS tube, where wind readings could be blocked.

4) Do another short ride and post it here.
John Hamann
thrillho

Post by thrillho »

Thanks for the quick reply. :) I have attached photos of my setup (no kinks in the tube although I question whether the tube end that cops the wind protrudes out from the aerobar enough). I will follow your advice and then send ride file through tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (102.64 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
image (1).jpeg
image (1).jpeg (119.31 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
image (2).jpeg
image (2).jpeg (90.7 KiB) Viewed 8138 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

It looks like you have the RWS positioned immediately below the place where your arms rest on the aero bars. If possible I would reposition the RWS a bit farther out on the handlebars, so that you won't have potential turbulence caused by your arms.

If you do this then do a new Cal Ride, then post ride file results.

Did you check your Cal Wind? What were the results?
John Hamann
thrillho

Post by thrillho »

Thanks for that. I will make the changes to the setup tonight and re-post cal ride at pretty much the same time as my original post.

I did the cal wind indoors (is this ok?). The wind number in the cal wind screen still fluctuates indoors constantly even after clicking the center button (reaches as high as +-2.0), is this normal?
Pete

Post by Pete »

thrillho wrote:I did the cal wind indoors (is this ok?). The wind number in the cal wind screen still fluctuates indoors constantly even after clicking the center button (reaches as high as +-2.0), is this normal?
I'm worried if doing it in my garage is good enough
thrillho

Post by thrillho »

Cal ride attached. I think this is how it should look. What do you think?
Attachments
iBike_05_28_2015_1936_7_km.ibr
Looks a bit more like it
(61.77 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

thrillho wrote:Thanks for that. I will make the changes to the setup tonight and re-post cal ride at pretty much the same time as my original post.

I did the cal wind indoors (is this ok?). The wind number in the cal wind screen still fluctuates indoors constantly even after clicking the center button (reaches as high as +-2.0), is this normal?
That is both fine and normal.
John Hamann
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

thrillho wrote:Cal ride attached. I think this is how it should look. What do you think?
Yes, that is more like it. Please post a ride file after your next ride.
John Hamann
thrillho

Post by thrillho »

Having issues with cal ride. I thought the last one worked but obviously it didn't as when I started riding this morning newton was saying "do cal" and not giving me watts. I think the last cal ride didnt end properly, as it seemed stuck in that cal ride screen rather than going back to normal riding and displaying watts.

Anyway, so I did the cal ride, and at the end it said "Cal error - see Isaac". Someone on this forum has had the same issue under the post "Cal ride issue".
thrillho

Post by thrillho »

Here's the ride file. Doesn't say "cal" either.
Attachments
iBike_02_27_2015_0213_6_km.ibr
(56.94 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Your wind scaling factor is about 8.5. This means that your Newton is getting very, very little wind, and this is the cause of your error message.

Try a "normal" ride tomorrow and post the ride results.

Make sure your RWS is plugged in to your wind port. Question: have you removed the green wind vane from the port?

I still remain suspicious that your wind tube has a block, or kink, in it somewhere. This would cause the wind readings to be so low.
John Hamann
thrillho

Post by thrillho »

Yes, green wind vane has been removed. Took the RWS apart and noticed the little connection from the tube of the RWS to the newton looks pretty banged up, especially the opening. I remember that I used super glue on the connector to get it into the newton but must have been a bit forceful as the opening is a little warped and not providing as clear a path to the newton as it should be. Have tried to fix the opening but might need a new connector, we'll see after I put back together tomorrow.

in terms of the 'normal' ride, I don't seem to be able to remove the 'do cal' screen now. it's constantly going between 'do Cal' and '---w' and the target on the left hand side is constantly flashing. Have reset, but still no good.