Wind sensor problems

spectrelabs

Wind sensor problems

Post by spectrelabs »

I have an Ibike Newton and 3 weeks ago I rode in light drizzle and moisture caused my wind sensor to go crazy. It's been showing crazy readings since that day and never really recovered although I have not been riding in wet weather for the past 3 weeks. Trying to do wind calibration doesn't help at all.

I noticed something peculiar with the readings. When i'm going downhill at a gradient of -2% or more the sensor will the sensor displays a headwind of about 40kmh, when going uphill at 2% or more it shows a tailwind of around -40kmh. When riding at 0% gradient or when the Newton is placed on level surface (in a room with no air movement at all) the wind sensor fluctuates between 100kmh to -100kmh.

How do i solve this problem?

I've attached here a sample ride file
Attachments
ride.ibr
(383.86 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Wind sensor problems

Post by Velocomp »

You may have a hardware problem. Please email technicalsupport@velocomp.com
John Hamann
Pete

Re: Wind sensor problems

Post by Pete »

I had a similar issue yesterday
During my morning ride [it was humid from overnight rain] power went to zero/low numbers for about the last 15mins of the ride.
It was still the same for my morning commute (different profile) other than a small period of crazy high numbers
And still the same for commute home (dry and sunny by now).

Fortunatley it seems to have resolved overnight and by commute in this morning was with usual numbers

Anyway on the commute home last night I was obseving the wind via hill/wind and noticed it was showing wind as basically the negative of my bike speed.
(there was actually a light-moderate headwind)
I took this to be some sort of default to overide what I presumed must have been crazy negative wind readings

So I thought to check via wind-cal. I had to stop to bring up the wind-cal option.
When first selecting wind-cal there was -80 or something like that but within a few seconds it came down and settled around a believable true wind 5-10 haedwind.
I didn't attempt to zero the wind but rather just started riding with wind-cal on display

As soon as I started moving the wind on the wind-cal display jumped right up to 60-80 range and if I stopped again would take a few seconds (for smoothing to run through?) and then return to 'normal' values

So whilst there may be some sort of hardware issue with moisture ingress, it also appears that there could be a software aspect in that the wind readings appear OK when stopped but unable to compensate for movement under these conditions.

Hope this helps
Pete