FW 5.0 problems

Russ

FW 5.0 problems

Post by Russ »

Hello Velocomp,

I have run FW5.0 in my Newton+ since day one but used no special features and made no changes to any profiles, everything worked great, until yesterday when I attempted a profile change. Now I have at least two problems which I will describe.

The profile environment I had in place was two profiles each for two different bikes.
1. and 2. for Cannondale road bike with aero bars (profile design actually) with two different CRR's in case I road on all smooth or normal mixed pave.
3. and 4. for oversized CX used as a road bike, same diff, smooth pave CRR and mixed higher CRR.

Since the FW update I have mostly ridden with profile 4 mixed CRR 6.0 on CX bike with a couple of rides on profile 1 for Cannondale and mixed higher CRR 5.5, I think.

The sequence of what I think are relevant events:
I have an old Diamondback on the trainer in the basement and because of rain yesterday decided to dust off the rig but change profile 3 for the Diamondback and trainer usage. This is where the trouble started.

First thing I noticed was in attempting to remove the wireless ID's from the profile to rediscover them, Isaac would not allow this.
So I did setup a new profile 3 process but told it to use original cda/crr values for a short cut. Now I only have a speed ant+ sensor on the diamondback as I replaced cadence and an extra speed sensor with bluetooth combo. I forgot no ant+ cadence. After the unit discovered 1 sensor, I kept 'goofing' with the process to try to discover the non existant cadence until I realized I had removed it from that bike. In the effort, I hung the Newton in a discover sensor loop and had to do a hard reset to get out. I ended up with a working profile in that regard but had run out of time to actually use it besides a quick test to display some speed. Meanwhile the Newton had somehow switched my profile 1 and 2 to English units without, to my conscious notice, any iterations with English chosen. At this point I double checked that Isaac and all profile choices were still metric.

So problem number one is that I managed to get profile 2 back to metric but unable to switch profile 1 back to metric as actually used in the Newton (ie Newton is displaying M/H in speed window) regardless of upload/edit/download profile 1 attempts. I have actually sent english to the unit, then changed to metric and sent that but no joy. The upload (get from ibike) always shows metric in the profile editor. Just that the iBike does not actually show metric anymore for that profile.

Problem number two is one day newer. Today I did a 42.6k (26.5mile) ride and got caught in moderate rain a bit over half way. The sensor aparently clogged as the last 1/3 of the ride shows exorbitant tailwinds. I looked at the tools menu and repair wind sensor was there and not greyed out. I highlighted the area and the repair wind sensor became greyed out and I could not do the repair.
I then tried the Check Calibration function which was not greyed out but it decided to tell me that the function was not available with a gen 1/2 ibike and became greyed out. So here I sit with a partially analyzed personal best ride and not getting full credit!

Help! I will attach the problematic ride file. I hope I can rescue my profiles but if not, at this point I am not clear on best way forward to get back to new good profiles from here. I suppose I might be able to do the setup fresh on each.

Another anomaly is that in setup my racer no/yes option is no longer displayed at all, it was not there a few days ago either.

Thanks in advance,
Russ
Attachments
iBike_10_12_2014_1157_43_km_N Loop.ibr
Problem ride file thinks Newton is a gen1 and has blocked wind sensor last 1/3 ride.
(594.65 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
jazclrint

Re: FW 5.0 problems

Post by jazclrint »

I was playing around with the profiles when I got my Newton Friday afternoon. Did you set the wireless IDs to "0". That worked for me.

As a special bug for me I played with my "ProFlex Trail" profile that it decided to call it "untested" and something else when I went to select the active profile. No matter how many times I deleted it, or how many different ways I created or setup the profile it would call it the same thing. Annoying to say the least.
'98 ProFlex 5500c under construction
'13 Schwinn Fastback custom build
'05 Bianchi Axis custom build
'13 Reline Metro Sport custom build
'15 GT Sensor Carbon Pro custom build
'?? A bike who's existence shall not be acknowledged
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thanks for the idea, in thinking back where I said:
"First thing I noticed was in attempting to remove the wireless ID's from the profile to rediscover them, Isaac would not allow this."
Best I recall, I did at some point get them set to zero but the old wireless ID's kept creeping back, even after sending and accepting.
So I just described it as Isaac would not allow this.... So that ended, as far as it has ended at this point, with me starting a new profile for profile 3.

Russ
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

This is a very long post.

Could you please reduce it to a few sentences? I'm honestly confused about what your problems are...

"Racr", "User", and "Fast Start" folders are no longer part of Setup screens.
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

John,

Most of the excess words were to document how I got into these problem states.

Short form attempt now is:

1. Profile number 1 is stuck in English mode, resending metric to the unit will not change it back to metric (it was metric all along)

2. In the attached ride file from profile number 4, yesterdays ride, I have found these two issues:
A. Check Calibration function initially reports that my Newton is a Gen1or 2 and then greys out.
B. Rain blocked the wind sensor and the last 1/3 of the ride shows excessive tail wind. When I
highlight that section and go to repair the function to repair for blocked wind sensor is greyed out.

This brings my profile number 4 into question as well since it may have been reverted to a gen1??? Just guessing.

Thanks,
Russ
Edit to correct profile number ref
Russ

Post by Russ »

John,
I solved problem number 1 with profile number 1, using device/setup/units I was able to reset the profile in the unit to metric.
I then thought, heck I will reset the device profiles and resend my stored ones to the unit. The response was that this was not a supported function with my unit. It appears that the Newton now thinks and tells Isaac that it is a gen1 or gen2 unit.

I still have the problem number 2 and this basic gen1/2 issue.

Russ
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Russ wrote:John,
I solved problem number 1 with profile number 1, using device/setup/units I was able to reset the profile in the unit to metric.
I then thought, heck I will reset the device profiles and resend my stored ones to the unit. The response was that this was not a supported function with my unit. It appears that the Newton now thinks and tells Isaac that it is a gen1 or gen2 unit.

I still have the problem number 2 and this basic gen1/2 issue.

Russ
We looked at your ride file. For some reason it has a bogus serial number embedded in it, causing the greyed-out problem.

This is a problem we've never seen before, so hopefully your next ride will have a good serial number in it.

Please go to Device-->SN/FW version and send Tom Gore your serial number.
John Hamann
Russ

Post by Russ »

John,

Glad you are on to something. I just emailed Tom with s/n and my 10/13 ride file, I was off yesterday :-)
I notice both ride files only produce NP and no IF, TSS etc and both refuse to do an analyze/check calibration.

As I said in email to Tom, if the S/N is bad, it must have gotten clobbered during the crash mentioned above where by I had to do a hard reset to get control back.

Oh, BTW, I went through the doc and still find RACR and USER in many places in the Newton+ doc installed with Isaac.
And in so reading I saw the instruction to hit the top and bottom arrows together to trigger a sensor search.

Well, best I recall I remembered that incorrectly and managed to trigger a sensor scan with the left and right arrow buttons, I am fairly sure. As I think I described above I was sort of fumbling around to do the job instead of RTFM (last resort you know).

Thanks,
Russ
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thanks to Tom Gore and John at iBike!

I sent my Newton back at Tom's suggestion. He said they would open it up and check it over (for hw updates, I guess) and also fix the serial number problem.

Well they turned it around quickly, fixing the problem and for free. Great service iBike!.

Thanks,
Russ