my heart rate and cadence numbers no longer flash, instead C

rbe

my heart rate and cadence numbers no longer flash, instead C

Post by rbe »

my heart rate (HR) stopped flashing alternatively with cadence. instead, there appeared a "Cal" indicatorin the lower level display.

i replaced the battery in the ibike heart rate monitor strap, but still got nothing on the ibike for heart rate. i then put back the original battery. i also had turned the ibike unit off and on a few times. then, the heart rate signal on the display returned after several attempts at this.... it appears to be stable with cadence and heart rate again alternating as should.

1) can you possibly help explain why i lost the heart rate signal in the lower display and instead got "Cal"; and then, how did the heart rate signal return?

2) secondarily, is there any indicator on the display for when the heart rate battery is low?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: my heart rate and cadence numbers no longer flash, instead C

Post by Velocomp »

Cal appears when cadence signal is lost. HR won't appear if HR signal is lost.

Either your battery was bad, or your HR strap was not active. The HR strap has to be active for it to be detected by the iBike. Make sure there is a moist contact between your HR strap and your chest.

Make sure your cadence sensor and magnet are properly positioned. If they are, and your HR strap is active, the bottom window will alternate between HR and Cad. Cal will not appear.

Because the HR strap does not send a "low batt" signal, there is no way for the iBike to know that the battery is low.
John Hamann
rbe

Re: my heart rate and cadence numbers no longer flash, instead C

Post by rbe »

thanks for the reply and explanation. from a no show on the HR again, i also lost cadence. i then tried replacing the cadence battery also, but to no effect.

so, i went to the manual and "sensor pairing" and followed the instructions to initiate by press-holding the TOP AND BOTTOM arrows simulataneously until a "scan" message appeared. the newton unit then picked up both the cadence and the heart rate. from that point on, the unit appears to be working normally again.

i am still puzzled as to why i lost the heart rate, and then also the cadence, but all worked fine on my ride out today.