Power drops out due to HRM interference

dillrob

Power drops out due to HRM interference

Post by dillrob »

I have an odd problem that occurs occasionally. I do not have a HRM or DFPM, but if I get near someone's HRM my power screen drops out and starts to pick up their HR. Eventually we seperate and after some time the power readings restore. This happened twice during a triathlon this past weekend and my ride file captured all the info except power. Power drops off to zero for about 3 minutes. Is there a way to disable the HR wireless functionality or otherwise fix this problem? Thanks. Bob
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Power drops out due to HRM interference

Post by Velocomp »

Somehow your iBike picked up your neighbor's wireless ID.

In your garage, do a new Scan. This will remove the HR reading.

Please post your ride file that shows this problem.
John Hamann
dillrob

Post by dillrob »

There is no HR wireless ID saved in my profile though (see attached). This errant HR monitoring happens with random people. Is there a way to Disable the HR field? I don't have an ANT+ HRM anyway. Ride file should be attached.

Thanks.
Attachments
iBike_05_04_2014_0907_56_Miles.ibr
ride file
(131.3 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
screen shot of Wireless IDs
screen shot of Wireless IDs
Capture.PNG (25.12 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Where do you see the HR signal appear? In the bottom window?

I agree there is no HR ID memorized, so I'm at a loss to explain how you could pick-up HR signals.

Please do a new Scan and confirm that you get the message "HR Off".

Also, please post an image of your mount as it is located on your bike.
John Hamann
dillrob

Post by dillrob »

Hi John - While I was riding my power would stop displaying on the Newton unit, the little heart icon would display and as well as a number (presumably the phantom HR). After a little bit no number would display. I assume the HRM was out of range. Eventually power numbers ramped up and reported normally. I guess there was no recording in the file since there is no HR ID or HRM saved. This never occured on solo rides and happened a couple times when in proximity to other riders. So, I am assuming that the head unit is picking up the signal, interrupting the power display/record and then dropping it. I will re-pair the speed/cadence sensor and let you know if the profile changes the HR ID to "disabled". Any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Bob
dillrob

Post by dillrob »

I re-paired the Newton and the profile still shows that the HR ID is enabled (I clciked "Get From Device"). All the fields are the same.

Is there a way to reset these fields to "disabled" prior to a re-sync?

Attached is a photo of it mounted on the bike.

Thanks.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (101.57 KiB) Viewed 4209 times