Speed Sensor Failure

SolarKitty

Speed Sensor Failure

Post by SolarKitty »

Hello.
On Saturday, did a two hour mtb race with my Newton paired with a Bontrager Speed Sensor, iBike HR and a Stages PM. The set-up worked great with the data consistently recorded including the cadence from the Stages.

On Sunday, went to another race. Got on the bike started riding, sensors found, then about 1 minute later, SPD FAIL. Check, rescan, looks ok, continue riding and then SPD fail. Redo. Seems ok. Get to the start line. SPD fail.

Get home. Spin front wheel, speed shows. Two days later switch iBike to another bike, works fine. Today, Switch back to MTB, speed sensor found right away and pairs with Stages. Ride around for five minutes - all good. Checked profiles and sensor codes - all matched.

Was this just a unfortunate pairing error at the Sunday race, too many ANT's spoiling the party?
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Re: Speed Sensor Failure

Post by Velocomp »

We have a small bug in the firmware.

Whenever you switch profiles, you must turn the Newton off (click left arrow, then Press-hold arrow so unit turns off). Then, turn the unit back on. The off/on procedure loads the correct wireless IDs into the unit.

We will fix this bug in the next FW update, so that you won't have to turn the unit off/on to switch wireless IDs.
John Hamann
SolarKitty

Re: Speed Sensor Failure

Post by SolarKitty »

Fortunately the speed sensor worked but for some reason the HR dropped. I use the same HR for all profiles. I couldn't get it to pick up even when I rescanned when I set the elevation. In any case, the Newton Tracker upgrade worked great and I like it better than using the StravaApp. FYI, if you're curious, here is the file with the Stages Power Meter.
Attachments
iBike_05_03_2014_0831_31_Miles_MSB2014.ibr
Newton wiht Tracker and Stages PM.
(565.45 KiB) Downloaded 298 times