Tilt Cal v Riding Tilt (%)

JulianBoulter

Tilt Cal v Riding Tilt (%)

Post by JulianBoulter »

hi guys,

Another question,

In the profile are 2 tilt related fields Tilt Cal and Riding Tilt (%).

My understanding is that

a) Tilt Cal contains the Tilt Calibration value performed in the Newton which is the offset between the Newton and the road (without a rider)
b) Riding Tilt (%) is the tilt offset as caused by the riders position on the bike

This raises a couple of questions:

1) Does Tilt Cal also contain the Tilt Calibration value calculated from the Calibration Ride or only from the Tilt Calibration process from the RACR sequence?

2) The value of Riding Tilt (%) seems to make quite a difference to watts and it is one of the component parts of the Friction figure. Now I understand that riding tilt is measured dynamically during a ride. The profile's riding tilt is merely the starting point reference used at the beginning of a ride. Any variation in calibration, caused by changes in rider position, tire pressure, or other factors is detected and corrected dynamically.

So the question is, if I switch profiles after the ride, the Aero and Friction figures used are the static ones in the profile, if they are applied to a ride file after a ride and the value of Riding Tilt (%) is different in the profile I change to, does it take the value of Riding Tilt (%) and use it only as the starting point to recalculate the dynamic measurements included in the ride file, or is the Friction figure applied as a blanket value to the ride file?

Thanks

Julian
JulianBoulter

Re: Tilt Cal v Riding Tilt (%)

Post by JulianBoulter »

In case anyone is interested here is the response I had from technical response regarding these questions:

1) The tilt calibration from the RACR menu does over-write the tilt cal that happens as a part of a cal ride.

2) As long as the fric/riding_tilt pair is valid in the profile you are switching to, everything should work well. Isaac will reprocess the raw sensor data as if the switched-to profile were loaded at the time of the ride. It doesn't matter if the riding_tilt is different as long as it was obtained together with the fric value in that profile.

So given that tilt is dynamically adjusted during the ride anyway it seems that the tilt information from the profile (with associated aero values) are merely a starting point for the dynamic calculations