incorrect temperature reading

ronpei

incorrect temperature reading

Post by ronpei »

I went out for ride yesterday and the outside temperature was (minus) - 5 to -6 deg celsius. However the Newton recorded (plus) 5 to 6 deg celsius? I took into account stabilization and that can not be the cause so what was going on? Do I need to adjust the temperature off set? I assume mathematically it is not a huge impact on the power calculation but I am wondering what is up. I looked at the cvs file and it never fell below about 5 deg which is not the case according to the weather station I rode past.
Russ

Re: incorrect temperature reading

Post by Russ »

ronpei,

I don't know why Velocomp hasn't responded, perhaps they need to do another freezer test with a Newton.
However, my opinion is you froze the poor thing too much :-)

Perhaps a not to the tech support address (forget exactly what it is but should be found easily enough).

My warmest hat is off to you for riding in those cold temps!

Regards,
Russ
racerfern

Post by racerfern »

As a curiosity I switched from fahrenheit to celsius and put my unit in the freezer. It went to -15C as I expected. Where I live right now, there's no chance of seeing anything below 10C so I don't know what to say. Have you seen this on other rides? Is this a one time hiccup?
Fernando
Velocomp
Velocomp CEO

Post by Velocomp »

Sorry, I missed this particular thread earlier.

There is no accuracy problem with the incorrect temperature.

However, if you want to set the correct temperature, you can do so in Setup.

In Setup go to the user sequence. Select Yes, then enter User. Find the screen that shows current temp in the center window, and "set" in the bottom window.

Click the center button; temperature flashes. Use the up/down arrows to set the correct temperature. Click the center button to accept. Exit setup.

This adjustment is analogous to the elevation setting. The adjustment applies the correct offset. However, the underlying temperature measurement differences are unchanged.
John Hamann
texmurphy

Post by texmurphy »

Velocomp wrote:In Setup go to the user sequence. Select Yes, then enter User. Find the screen that shows current temp in the center window, and "set" in the bottom window. Click the center button; temperature flashes. Use the up/down arrows to set the correct temperature. Click the center button to accept. Exit setup.
Zoltan in http://www.ibikeforum.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=39&p=16684 wrote:Just a praise for a small feature, which is enormously cozy. At least for me.
I am referring to holding the center button on Envio 2 screen to make the last altitude/elevation calibration work again. No need to switch to menu, no need to scroll the digits etc.
Well done.
How about a Press and Hold Center Button option when on the first Enviro screen to go directly to the Temperature Setup. Setting Temperature using the User Setup involves a lot of button presses.
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

I actually did do a freezer check and recalibration of the unit, but what occurred during the ride was the temperature was stuck too high. It will go lower but for some reason on this ride it was just wrong. Regularly when I ride it is warmer but that is the situation up here right now. When the roads are dry and the sun is out which is not often I plan to go for a ride ad it will likely be near zero deg Celcius. I will let people know what I see next cold ride.
thanks for the discussion though.
ronpei

Post by ronpei »

well no doubt about it, the temperature is reading 5-6 deg C high, actual was 0 to -1 deg C but newton was thinking 6-7, and this is a white unit so not related to sun as far as I can tell. I assume the temperature used in calculations in the algorithm is deg kelvin so the mathematical difference between 273 and 279 is a small thing but no doubt at low temperatures my unit is reading high, at room temp it is high but closer, which indicates it is non linear. Anyhow it would be nice to see warmer temperatures in reality ;-) not just the wishful thinking of my Newton +. Oh and I have entered the correct temp (based upon a lab mercury thermometer) a few times, it does not seem to help.